We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice or Provence in mid August?

Which French Riviera - Cote d'Azur hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bangalore, India
Nice or Provence in mid August?

Hi - my wife and I are planning to spend 5-6 days in South France in mid August. We land in Nice and fly back from Nice too - but given various posts, I'm tempted to shift our base to somewhere in the Provence area rather than sticking to Nice. Might someone be able to opine here please?

We would definitely be much more interested in getting to know the French villages / culture rather than just ticking off places that we've been to. Also, we're planning to hire a car, so perhaps that helps?

Finally, we'd ideally like to stay put in one base, but if we choose Provence, then we have to take a hotel in Nice for at least one day, so perhaps we could cover Provence in 3-4 days and spend the rest of the time in Nice?

Thanks again all! This forum and all your help is super!

Vikram

London, UK
reviews: 56
1. Re: Nice or Provence in mid August?

Nice is in Provence.

New York City, New...
reviews: 172
2. Re: Nice or Provence in mid August?

I think you are referring to western Provence and the hill towns. Nice may be in Provence as the other poster said but most people know what you are asking.

My husband and I split our last stay into 4 hotel bases in 9 mights- Aix en Provence, the Luberon towns (base in Bonnieux) cassis (beach town in w Provence and nice.) and Nice.

A few years ago we stayed in the riviera in Nice, St. Paul du Vence (walled midieval hill town) and Villefranche sur mer.

What are you interested in? Nice and the surrounding area is stunning. If you don't want to stay in Nice then you can stay in Villefranche (no need to change hotels -close enough to the airport). It is a fishing village with a beach and an old town. Or split with St. Paul. You would definitely visit Eze village. For 5 days this is great.

If you want to drive to western Provence then you would get a car as soon as you land and drive west. Stay in Aix or go to the Luberon for the hill towns. Or cassis, a beach/fishing village with old town. Definitely spend the last 2 nights in nice (or one long day and night).

A lot of people will criticize the area in August due to heat and traffic. Personally I love the Mediterranean in August. I swim , tan and go boating. Love the sunshine. The mountains may be cooler. Traffic was fine- not nearly as bad as others were telling us (then again I'm from NY and used to traffic to get to the beach)

england
reviews: 45
3. Re: Nice or Provence in mid August?

I'm not sure what time your flight gets in. If it is lateish then, after picking your car up and driving for about 2.5 hours to Luberon or somewhere, you might be too late to check in at many Chambres d'Hotes, as they'll not have 24 hour reception. In that case you could stay a night in Nice, spend a couple of hours there after breakfast, then pick your car up and drive to your base in Provence mid afternoon. Alternatively (again depending on your flight times) it might be more convenient to spend your final night in Nice.

So far as accommodation is concerned, you could browse this list for ideas

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotels-g187250-c2-Luberon_…

Obviously, in mid-August, it will be pot luck on availability, but my guess is that you'll get somewhere eventually, but I'd not waste too much time before trying to make a reservation

Louisville, KY
Destination Expert
for French Riviera - Cote d'Azur
reviews: 26
4. Re: Nice or Provence in mid August?

Nice responses here...and I think we all understand the distinction you were making in your OP. ;-) For an August booking at this late date, the issue may be more about availability than anything. I'd make up your mind to today, find what you can and don't second guess yourself! It's August and at this late date, bookings are going to be tight.

Since you are planning on renting a car, you're ready to explore western Provence where one is needed, but some people find a car (especially, the parking!) a bit of a hassle in the Cote d'Azur, especially in the high tourist season. For the Cote d'Azur part of Provence, maybe you should look inland, towards the mountains. As a starter list, look at Vence, Tourrettes sur Loup, Mougins, Le Cannet, etc. A car will be handy from those locations. These destinations could also be hard when it comes to an August availability, but see what you can find. If you do find something that you like, late June is not a time to ponder over an August booking...go for it!

tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g187243-Tourrettes_s…

tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g187245-Vence_French_…

tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g207354-Le_Cannet_Fre…

tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g187232-Mougins_Frenc…

If you don't choose western Provence, other contributors may have suggestions for more small towns that are inland but accessible to the coastline.

Edited: 10:17 am, June 23, 2013
California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
reviews: 16
5. Re: Nice or Provence in mid August?

Mougins is not in the mountains; it's in the plain between Grasse and Cannes.

Louisville, KY
Destination Expert
6. Re: Nice or Provence in mid August?

Neither is Le Cannet for that matter, but I did say "...inland, towards the mountains" and we were starting on the coast.

Catullus, do you have any suggestions that could help Dolby? I'm sure she would find your expertise helpful.

Nice
Destination Expert
for Nice, French Riviera - Cote d'Azur, Antibes
reviews: 52
7. Re: Nice or Provence in mid August?

I have lost track - who is Dolby. The OP is vikram17000 .

vikram17000 - there are a lot of interesting places to see from Nice. Lots of mediaeval or perched villages, amazing countryside and coastline and most of it accessible without a car,

le cannet would not figure on my list of places to recommend someone staying in Nice with or without a car unless they were mad keen on Bonnard

Mougins and Tourettes sur loup are pleasant enough

Much more interesting with or without a car from Nice are vence, St paul de vence and eze village [though both touristy] , la turbie, villefranche, sospel, tende, la Brigue, saorge, st martin vesubie, mouans sartoux, villeneuve loubet village , haut de cagnes, st jeannet etc but there are loads of others

Edited: 2:39 pm, June 23, 2013
8. Re: Nice or Provence in mid August?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 4:35 pm, June 23, 2013
Louisville, KY
Destination Expert
9. Re: Nice or Provence in mid August?

I'm the one who lost track! Sorry.. Dolby made a reply and I didn't scroll up far enough.

These were the highlights I was reading, but maybe I missed something:

"We land in Nice and fly back from Nice too - but given various posts, I'm tempted to shift our base to somewhere in the Provence area rather than sticking to Nice....perhaps we could cover Provence in 3-4 days and spend the rest of the time in Nice?"

That latter part is where day trips would come in should that end up being the plan. However, my suggestions were about bases that might be close to the coastline (hence the hotel links), but may not be as busy and still in the Cote d'Azur end of Provence. It was meant to be only a start. What may not be clear is how much further into Provence vikram17000 wants to travel and that could be the next question. I'm sure she would appreciate more input.

Louisville, KY
Destination Expert
10. Re: Nice or Provence in mid August?

I probably should have also suggested St. Paul de Vence:

tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g187240-St_Paul_de_Ve…

There are a number of places that are outside the village itself (daytime is busy in St. Paul!), and with a car, they might make a nice base with less congestion than along the coast. Congestion along the coast, however, is what it is.