I will be traveling with my wife to the french riviera in sept/ oct. (arrive 9/29/13 , leave 10/7/13)
We fly into Nice and are interested in seeing most of the major sites. (ie Monaco, St. Tropez, cannes, etc.) This is a honeymoon of sorts, we got married recently in Hawaii.
One thing we were hoping to do was do a wine tour. We love the reds from Rhone and were looking into a tour of the area. We found one from Avignon. I realize this is roughly a 3.5hr train from Nice, but it's a high priority. We would only really want to go for a day, maybe in the middle of the trip to break things up.
My questions are as follows:
1. Would most suggest staying in one place, ie Nice, and doing day trips to the cities, or moving around? It seems like a pretty big waste of time to check in and out every day or two.
2. Any suggestions for where to stay? Cost isn't an issue if it's worth it, not interested in spending just to spend.
3. Car vs trains/bus: I have read that if you stay in Nice, the public transport to everywhere except perhaps St. Tropez is easy and affordable.
4. Any wine regions closer than Provence and Rhone that might be worth while checking out in lieu of the long trip to Avignon? We like reds.
5. FOOD suggestions. We travel where the food it. Love experiencing high quality local foods, and not jus tthe $$$$$$ ones.
Thanks everyone, hope I gave enough info.