We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which are the best villages to visit?

Which Avignon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Longboat Key...
Destination Expert
for Longboat Key
reviews: 86
Which are the best villages to visit?

Bonjour, I'm arriving by train in Avignon from Paris. I'll have two nights in Avignon and one day dedicated to visiting nearby towns and villages. I'll have a rental car. I've been suggested several villages but too many for one day. Could you recommend which of the following villages I should visit?

Venasque / Fontaine de Vaucluse / Gordes / Roussillon, / Ménerbes, / Opède / Lacoste and Bonnieux,

I know many are close together but I don't want to try to see them all. Suggestions please?

After my second night in Avignon I'll be headed to Aix en Provence by car.

Merci!

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice
reviews: 316
1. Re: Which are the best villages to visit?

I think if you can cover Gordes, Roussillon, tiny stop by Menerbes, and Bonnieux you will do well for having just one day in Luberon.

Longboat Key...
Destination Expert
for Longboat Key
reviews: 86
2. Re: Which are the best villages to visit?

Thank you

Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 109
3. Re: Which are the best villages to visit?

Bonjour

My suggestion would be head straight for Roussillon from Avignon, then Gordes and Fontaine de Vacluse on the way back. Having said that, the ochre cliffs in Roussillon are something to see and I would imagine at sunset would be remarkable. The only downside we could see from that, which is why we didn't stay until sunset is that the road up the mountain in very narrow and could be tricky at night. That was just our opinion though. I'm sure you will enjoy whatever you decide. Bon voyage.

Australia
reviews: 99
4. Re: Which are the best villages to visit?

Roussillon is very distinctive because of its ochre colours.

I second the recommendation for Fontaine de Vaucluse, with its location beside the river.Very cool and shady on a hot day and a contrast to perched villages.

5. Re: Which are the best villages to visit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, February 19, 2015