We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling from Avignon to Barcelona

Which Avignon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NZ
reviews: 1
Traveling from Avignon to Barcelona

I know that this one has been done many, many times, but would still appreicate anyones advice or opinions. We having a travelling dilemma of getting to Barcelona from Avignon.

Option 1 is leaving Avignon TGV (9am) to Marseille (9.40am)and catching a plane from Marseille (12.15pm) to Barcelona. Is this enough time for us? Are we cutting it too close? Do trains travel on time? What's the best way to get to the airport?

OR we could catch an earlier train (7.47am TGV) and arrive in Marseille at 8.20am, truthfully this is the one we are leaning towards.

OR catch a train from Avignon (8.40am) to Nimes to Figueres Vilafant to Barcelona (1.48pm).

Any advice or opinions would be appreciated. Thank you

Edited: 12:58 am, June 30, 2013
17 replies to this topic
Andrésy, France
reviews: 89
1. Re: Traveling from Avignon to Barcelona

Take the last option (train all the way) - No queueing, easy connections, no baggage restrictions, no hassle getting to & from airports, no security line, more comfortable seating, more environmentally friendly.

Antibes, France
2. Re: Traveling from Avignon to Barcelona

tradeform is correct of course. The only drawback is, having done it, the Marseilles/Barcelona train journey is not one of the 'Great Train Journeys of the World' but is tedious and unscenic.

Ed

Saint Louis...
reviews: 13
3. Re: Traveling from Avignon to Barcelona

But with option #3, the train doesn't go to Marseille it goes through Nimes. I took the train from Figueres to Montpellier and I enjoyed the coastal scenery a lot.

You can take a local train from Avignon Center to Portbou, Spain. There you will switch to a Spanish train to Barcelona. The travel time is longer than the TGV, but you will have more time options and no need to purchase tickets in advance. In Barcelona you can get off at Passieg de Gracia instead of going all the way to Sants station.

NZ
4. Re: Traveling from Avignon to Barcelona

Thank you everyone. We weren't committed to it but were seriously leaning towards flying to Barcelona from Marseille and now are booked to get there by train. I think what sold us on the train is that after reading what you all had to say it just seemed easier, less stress and more relaxed. As we would have been travelling pretty extensively by then a nice relaxed train trip just seemed to be the answer. Thanks again.

Pickering, Canada
reviews: 15
5. Re: Traveling from Avignon to Barcelona

I will be going from Avignon to Barcelona also end of September, if you have made the trip before that, let me know how it went, I need to book train tickets.

NZ
6. Re: Traveling from Avignon to Barcelona

Hi slicricky, as we are travelling at the end of September too (Depart 26/9) we are probably going to be on the same train. :-)

Pickering, Canada
reviews: 15
7. Re: Traveling from Avignon to Barcelona

we will be travelling on the 27th of Sept.

Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 30
8. Re: Traveling from Avignon to Barcelona

what did the train tickets cost if I may ask? I'm still working my way around these train websites and as I am doing the same trek I'm curious if 162 Euro is ok ! Also does anyone recommend first or second class travel ?

thx in advance and happy travels

Saint Louis...
reviews: 13
9. Re: Traveling from Avignon to Barcelona

2nd class is fine. I only choose 1st class if the price difference is very small.

To compare the prices, look for the price of trains leaving tomorrow vs. trains leaving 90 days from now.

NZ
10. Re: Traveling from Avignon to Barcelona

We paid $189NZD 2nd Class, which is about 114 euro. We are travelling local train from Avignon (8.40am - 9.45am) to Montpellier, TGV to Figueres (10.37am - 12.32pm), then local train to Barcelona (12.55pm - 1.48pm). It should be interesting and if it doesn't work out it just means that we have a great story to tell when we get back home, and to share with everyone on Trip Advisor. :-)

Reply to: Traveling from Avignon to Barcelona
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted