We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Base Town With Nightlife

Which Avignon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Orleans
reviews: 6
Base Town With Nightlife

We will be in Provence for five days in September and traveling by car. We want to drive during the day and see the other towns and cites in Provence but at night we like some nightlife when we can dine in a square or listen to some music.

What towns would be good for both well located for car travel but also have nightlife? I do not mean late or discos but just a lively area until 10 pm

New York City, New...
reviews: 177
1. Re: Base Town With Nightlife

Provence is a large region. What part are you looking at and what towns do you want to visit. Assuming western Provence then Aix is a great little city with active squares at night, cafes pubs etc.

In the riviera I love Nice. Much bigger than Aix and more of a true city. But I think it would be hard to have a car.

New Orleans
reviews: 6
2. Re: Base Town With Nightlife

I am looking at the Western Provence, Avignon, Arles, Nimes, Les Baux etc

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 52
3. Re: Base Town With Nightlife

Because it is a walled city, Avignon is challenging to navigate around in with a car. Nimes or Arles might fit the bill for you.

Edited: 3:19 pm, June 29, 2013
New York City, New...
4. Re: Base Town With Nightlife

Look at Aix then. When we were there we spent hours after dinner having drinks in outdoor cafes and people watching, and strolling through the squares. A lot of people out and about It is a college town so there are always people out not just tourists.

Houston, TX
reviews: 4
5. Re: Base Town With Nightlife

Can you suggest an area (or streets) to stay in Aix. Our 2 adult children (25&27) would be most grateful to be able to walk back to the hotel after some Aix nightlife. Thanks!

New York City, New...
6. Re: Base Town With Nightlife

Aix is small. I think no matter where you stay it will be walkable.

We stayed outside the center of town - still in Aix but not where the old historic center is. We stayed in Villa Gallici which a magical romantic villa with large pool. We walked 10-15 minutes to the town center. Other hotels will be closer but check this one .

7. Re: Base Town With Nightlife

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, July 02, 2014