We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avingnon or Aix en Provence or Arles?

Which Avignon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Pittsburgh
reviews: 12
Avingnon or Aix en Provence or Arles?

I will be in Paris in October and would like to spend a few days in Provence with a friend who has never been. We love old architecture and art - would you recommend Avingnon, Aix or Arles for a couple of nights. We would be traveling by train. Thanks for your recommendations.

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 53
1. Re: Avingnon or Aix en Provence or Arles?

For a short visit, I'd eliminate Aix. I personally would go with Arles. Smaller with lots to see and do. Amazing history....

Pittsburgh
reviews: 12
2. Re: Avingnon or Aix en Provence or Arles?

Thanks for your help, I was inclined towards Arles and appreciate your recommendation.

Worcester, MA
Destination Expert
for Dordogne
reviews: 57
3. Re: Avingnon or Aix en Provence or Arles?

Another vote for Arles - we stayed in both Aix and Arles and preferred Arles as a base; it seemed easier to navigate and was closer to placs we wanted to visit.

jhgrady

Kansas City, USA
reviews: 35
4. Re: Avingnon or Aix en Provence or Arles?

We enjoy Avignon, with Arles a close second. Aix was a fairly pleasant place that was overly crowded with cruise ship day tours. A quite pretty town tho.

Mark

Destination Expert
for Provence
reviews: 2
5. Re: Avingnon or Aix en Provence or Arles?

Here's another vote for Arles. Lots to see and do in the city itself,, AND there are also wonderful sites worth visiting that are relatively nearby, including:

The Roman Aquaducts at Barbegal

The Camargue

Les Baux

Glaunum, just outside of St. Remy

New York City, New...
reviews: 182
6. Re: Avingnon or Aix en Provence or Arles?

One vote for Aix. You can go to cassis and also the Luberon (Lourmarin is closest)

I found Aix charming and very Italian in feel.

UK
Destination Expert
for Provence
reviews: 83
7. Re: Avingnon or Aix en Provence or Arles?

I'd vote for Arles. You are also near the Camargue if you want to visit it, and Avignon too.

8. Re: Avingnon or Aix en Provence or Arles?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 01, 2014