We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 weeks and first time in Europe (Provence & Tuscany Help!)

Which Avignon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Canada
4 weeks and first time in Europe (Provence & Tuscany Help!)

My gf and I (23 & 25yrs old) are planning a 4 week trip to Europe in September. It is our first time and we know our itinerary is ambitious but we also know it will be more of a sample trip than anything else. We have it figured out for the most part but need advice for the Provence/Tuscany portion Sept 9-13. Nothing is set in stone, so I really appreciate any advice we receive regarding any leg of the trip, thank you guys very much. Our itinerary so far is as follows:

Aug 30 or 31 →Travel Canada to Amsterdam

Sept 1&2 : Amsterdam

Sept 3 → Travel to Paris (train)

Sept 4,5,6&7: Paris

Sept 8 → Travel to Avignon (train)

Sept: 9,10,11,12,13: ???

- This time was gonna be spent between Provence & Tuscany.We are completely flexible with this portion and were thinking of driving from Avingon to Florence .

- Places we were interested in are (Provence ⇒Nice, Arles, Aix-en-provence & Eze) (Tuscany → Pisa,Cinque terre, San Gimignano & Siena)

Sept 14 → Travel to Florence

Sept 15,16: Florence

Sept 17→ Travel to Rome (trains)

Sept 18,19,20: Rome

Sept 21→ Travel to Athens (flight)

Sept 22,23: Athens

Sept24→ Travel to Santorini

Sept 25,26&27: Santorini

Sept 28 →Fly to Amsterdam via Athens

Sep29/30→ Return to Canada

New York City, New...
reviews: 172
11. Re: 4 weeks and first time in Europe (Provence & Tuscany Help!)

Santotlrini overrated? I've never come across anyone who has actually been there and had not loved it.

Personally I was very dissapointed in the cinque terre because I hadn't realized there was a train, complete with subway style hubs with grafitti, running on its coast.

I prefer the greek islands, south of France or Amalfi coast to ct if we are talking seaside.

It may be too much to add santorini to this trip since you need to go Athens first and then ferry or fly there but OP do keep it in mind for next time.

Your revised itinerary sound better

Edited: 8:02 am, July 05, 2013
12. Re: 4 weeks and first time in Europe (Provence & Tuscany Help!)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to harassment of another user. We will remove messages that include personal attacks or hostility directed at an individual user or group of users, threatening language or attempts to force a user to discontinue participation on our forums.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:45 am, July 08, 2013
Canada
13. Re: 4 weeks and first time in Europe (Provence & Tuscany Help!)

Thank all you guys for your help.

@ Eddyfrombucks: I have noticed that trend on here. We are young and energetic and this being our first trip to europe we wanted to see & experience as many places as we could reasonably do. Thanks for your encouraging words.

@all. We just booked our tickets!( Opted for "open jaw" tickets flying home from Athens. This is our new itinerary .I will be buying guide books (lonely planet/rick steve/fodor?? what would you guys suggest) so I am doing some homework. Note this is our new itinerary but nothing is set in stone and we are very open to making decisions on the fly there and add a day somewhere vs giving up one somewhere else. I would appreciate any tips/suggestions (no matter how subjective) you guys could offer , regarding any part of this trip. Thank you all for your help and insight.

Aug 31 →Travel Canada to Amsterdam /arrive in the Am

Sept 8 → Travel to Venice

Sept: 9,10: Venice

Sept 11,:Travel to Florence

12,13: Florence

Sept 14 ,15: visit Cinque Terre (spend a few hours in Pisa on the way)

Sept 16: Spend a day visiting a few tuscan towns (Sienna, San Gimignano,Cortona?)

Sept 22,23: Athens +/- day

Sept 25,26&27: Santorini +/- day

Sept 28 →Travel to Athens

Sep29→ Fly Athens to Canada (home)

Edited: 12:34 pm, July 06, 2013
Tokyo, Japan
reviews: 1
14. Re: 4 weeks and first time in Europe (Provence & Tuscany Help!)

Aug 31 →Travel Canada to Amsterdam /arrive in the Am

Sept 8 → Travel to Venice

Sept: 9,10: Venice

I think here you guys are trying to do too much, but it depends on how familiar you hope to get or if you're using this as a run to see what you might want to revisit in the future. I'm still waiting for my return to Italy, loved it!

Sept 11,:Travel to Florence

12,13: Florence

Ditto, longer would be better, I enjoyed Florence with a side trip to Siena.

Sept 14 ,15: visit Cinque Terre (spend a few hours in Pisa on the way)

Pisa was okay for one night (we did this on the way to Florence after training from Nice), but not worth the detour for a few hours IMO.

Sept 16: Spend a day visiting a few tuscan towns (Sienna, San Gimignano,Cortona?)

More could be better.

Sept 22,23: Athens +/- day

Sept 25,26&27: Santorini +/- day

Sept 28 →Travel to Athens

Sep29→ Fly Athens to Canada (home)

Would suggest

1 & 2 Amsterdam

4, 5, 6 & 7 Paris

Venice 9, 10 &11

Florence 13, 14 & 15

Cinque Terre 17 & 18

Tuscan towns 19 & 20

Rome 22, 23 & 24

Santorini 26, 27

Athens 28 & 29 back to Canada

Princes Risborough...
reviews: 30
15. Re: 4 weeks and first time in Europe (Provence & Tuscany Help!)

You will have a blast. Be sure to visit the Galleria del' Accademia in Florence.

Cape Coral, Florida
reviews: 6
16. Re: 4 weeks and first time in Europe (Provence & Tuscany Help!)

Chrispy,

Now that your itinerary is fixed and your flights have been purchased you may want to post it on the train forum for advice since your time is quickly running out for low priced train fares which are the first to sell out and then prices keep going higher: For help see seat61.com/….UdpCf8u9KSM but best to buy direct and not use Rail Europe or ticket resellers.

Train to Paris go to http://www.thalys.com/de/en/

Paris to Italy see seat61.com/….UdpAUMu9KSM

Within Italy www.trenitalia.com then British flag for English but you still must use Italian names such as Milano Centrale, Venezia S Lucia, Firenze SM Novella and Roma Termini. Trenitalia's tickets go on sale 4 months in advance and tickets for the fast trains on the popular routes keep going up in price. You can purchase tickets for the slower regional trains on your day of travel with no increase of price and to see the schedule put in a date withing the next 7 days.

17. Re: 4 weeks and first time in Europe (Provence & Tuscany Help!)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, July 10, 2014