We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Using Avignon as a base?

Which Avignon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Blaine, Minnesota
reviews: 6
Using Avignon as a base?

Hello!

My wife and I (in our 60s) are planning and looking forward to a trip to Avignon next March. We'll travel by train from CDG. We are looking at an apartment within the city walls. After some time relaxing and exploring on foot we'd like to rent a car (a first for us in France) to visit nearby villages. Parking at the apartment is OK as long as we have a small car, but one of our concerns is will it be difficult/frustrating to get in and out of the city for these excursions? If it is, is there any other place accessible by train that would make a better base? Thanks for any information you can give us!

Kansas City, USA
reviews: 32
1. Re: Using Avignon as a base?

We have been spending a month or two in Avignon for the last 4 years and have never bothered to rent a car. Avignon is a splendid transportation hub with tons of train and bus access to many interesting places. Spend some quality time looking at the train and bus routes and perhaps just rent a car for a day or two for those little places you cant get to using public transport.

If you do opt to rent a car, there is great underground parking at the Popes Palace. A little searching online will show you all the info.

Over the years we have rented several apartments in Avignon, feel free to drop me a private message for our recommendations.

Mark

2. Re: Using Avignon as a base?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:53 pm, June 25, 2013
California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
reviews: 16
3. Re: Using Avignon as a base?

The deleted message is from a knowledgeable poster who appears to have been banned by TA because of complaints from a DE. This is really unfortunate.

Edited: 5:00 pm, June 25, 2013
New York City, New...
reviews: 172
4. Re: Using Avignon as a base?

There are many hilltop towns in the Luberon that I recommend visiting and fir which you'll need a car (or driver or organized tour). Bonnieux, Lacoste, Gordes etc.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
reviews: 4
5. Re: Using Avignon as a base?

<<banned by TA because of complaints from a DE>>

DE's do not have any special powers to ban anyone. While I agree that banning is pointless in most cases, the fact that someone who makes a complaint against another poster is a DE means nothing. To my knowledge, TA makes their own judgments about who should or who should not be banned.

Taupo, New Zealand
reviews: 30
6. Re: Using Avignon as a base?

What's a DE?

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
reviews: 16
7. Re: Using Avignon as a base?

Destination expert.

8. Re: Using Avignon as a base?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, July 07, 2014