We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avignon & surroundings without a car

Which Avignon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Belgium
reviews: 14
Avignon & surroundings without a car

Dear Avignon experts,

I'll spend 4 days in Avignon at the end of March. I will, of course, explore the city, but would like to visit some of the places around Avignon without renting a car. Is this doable with the public transport (train or bus) or should I rather take one of the excursions organized from Avignon that cover some of the top attractions in half a day?

I'm mostly interested in discovering small, beautiful villages, markets, olive oil tours - anything that makes Provence unique and charming.

I don't mind walking and finding my way around won't be a problem since I'm fluent in French.

Any advice regarding the transport & best destinations to visit would be indeed appreciated.

Thanks in advance and have a great day!

Kansas City, USA
reviews: 35
11. Re: Avignon & surroundings without a car

The first year we visited Avignon we opted for a car. After a week of dealing with the traffic surrounding the walls, we became certain of 2 things.

1. We don't need a car in Avignon.

2. There is an afterlife and the easiest way to fast track yourself to it is driving in that craziness!

For the past few years we have been relying on buses and trains exclusively to explore the area. One of our favorite things to do is to wander down to the train station and pick a random small town within about an hour for a day trip visit.

Go and explore, you will have a ball!

Cheers!

Mark

UK
Destination Expert
for Provence
reviews: 77
12. Re: Avignon & surroundings without a car

In that case, you could go to Carpentras on the Friday or Apt on the Saturday. Both excellent markets, and the journey to Apt goes right through the Luberon. See vaucluse.fr/2842-horaires-ligne-par-ligne.htm line 15.1 or for Carpentras 5.1. I would say the Carpentras market is slightly better, but as a place to visit, Apt has the edge, more old buildings.

Destination Expert
for Provence
reviews: 2
13. Re: Avignon & surroundings without a car

Both the Saturday and Sunday markets in Avignon are really good, so you will probably want to check out one of them.

Belgium
reviews: 14
14. Re: Avignon & surroundings without a car

Thank you all for the suggestions and great ideas. Now fingers crossed for decent weather :-)

Phoenix, Arizona
reviews: 11
15. Re: Avignon & surroundings without a car

I am looking for a tour of Chateauneuf castle. Arriving in Avignon my train from Paris on a Sunday, so the car rentals at the TGV station are closed. Any ideas?

Avignon, France
Destination Expert
for Avignon
reviews: 67
16. Re: Avignon & surroundings without a car

Are you sure that hire cars aren't available on Sundays at Avignon TGV station? I've just tried Europcar and Autoeurope for Sunday 26th May and they showed as being available.

Kansas City, USA
reviews: 35
17. Re: Avignon & surroundings without a car

Are you speaking of the castle in Chateauneuf du Pape?

If so there isn't must to tour, its a ruin at best that took all of 10 minutes to mooch around.

The area is well worth looking around in, especially if you are in the trail of some world class wines!

18. Re: Avignon & surroundings without a car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, April 03, 2014