We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Provence, France

Which Avignon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Alexandria, Virginia
Provence, France

Hi, We are 2 couples who plan to visit for the first time the Provence region and we are thinking of renting a villa for 1 week in Avignon. Is there enough for us to experience in Avignon and farther afield with day trips . Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. Regards, Margaret

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Dordogne
reviews: 4
1. Re: Provence, France

There is more than enough to keep you occupied, engaged, and agog for at least a few years.

Grab a guidebook or two and start reading. A week will never seem like enough.

Alexandria, Virginia
2. Re: Provence, France

Hi, Thank you so much for your reply - we now have the books and it all looks wonderful.

Saint Louis...
reviews: 12
3. Re: Provence, France

I would stay near Avignon - not in Avignon. And I'm glad you've got those guidebooks. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
reviews: 4
4. Re: Provence, France

The Avignon Office de Tourisme has a very comprehensive list of activities and day trips:

www.ot-avignon.fr/

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 42
5. Re: Provence, France

I agree with racegirl...Avignon is a great place to visit but there are better places to stay. Avignon is a walled city and getting in and out and parking can be a challenge.

Have a look at staying in L'Isle sur la Sorgue....about 20 kms east of Avignon.

Alexandria, Virginia
6. Re: Provence, France

Hi, We found a few apartments in Avignon walking distance to restaurants & shops. Why is it better to be outside of Avignon. I would really appreciate your input. Regards, Margaret

Saint Louis...
reviews: 12
7. Re: Provence, France

It's usually recommended to have a car to best see the area. Avignon is a fairly big - and walled city. Driving in, out and parking can be a hassle. Many people prefer to stay nearby in a smaller town, such as L'isle sur la Sorgue, St. Remy, Uzes, etc...Doing this will provide a better Provence experience.

Bedoin, France
reviews: 10
8. Re: Provence, France

As long as you aren't visiting in the month of July, I think Avignon is a great place to stay.

If you won't have a car, Avignon is a great choice.

If you will have a car, parking can be an issue. There are plenty of public parking lots, but they may or may not be in close proximity to your rental.

There is plenty to keep you occupied while based in Avignon.

Scotland
reviews: 125
9. Re: Provence, France

I've been to Avignon 4 times now and there are still places I want to visit. We stay outside of Avignon and hire a car so we can get to the places we fancy without having to reply on public transport. There is so much to do

10. Re: Provence, France

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:33 pm, April 26, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Avignon