We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

quiet hotel in Avignon?

Which Avignon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
florida
reviews: 1
quiet hotel in Avignon?

Is a quiet hotel possible?

We're planning a trip to Provence, and since we don't drive, my research suggests that Avignon is probably the best bet for a week stay. (Would welcome other ideas if Avignon not the best place. I think we'd prefer a place like St Remy or other smaller towns, but we'd not be able to get around.) We would hope to use train or bus or hire a driver or mini-tour to explore the other places we'd like to visit.

We're elderly and not good sleepers, especially when we travel. So peace and quiet are paramount to us. We need king bed and much prefer separate shower to tub or combo. Can spend around 300 EU per night. Is that enough to have a bit of luxury? Main thing: quiet and restful.

Thank you.

Bedoin, France
reviews: 10
1. Re: quiet hotel in Avignon?

How many nights do you need accommodations? When will you be visiting?

Just two people traveling?

florida
2. Re: quiet hotel in Avignon?

I'm planning a trip for June 2014. Hopefully 7 nights in Provence; 5 in Paris. Just us two basically healthy oldsters. Thanks.

Bedoin, France
reviews: 10
3. Re: quiet hotel in Avignon?

I have dreadful luck with noise in hotels. I am a very light sleeper and hotels just don't work very well for me, sadly.

Since it looks like you have a week in Provence, would you consider renting an apartment of villa?

I understand you want to have good access to public transport.

Utrecht, The...
reviews: 66
4. Re: quiet hotel in Avignon?

The patio rooms in Hotel Le Colbert are very quiet.

florida
5. Re: quiet hotel in Avignon?

Back in the day, we often enjoyed self-catered vacations, both here in the States and abroad. At our age/stage we've found that when we travel, we prefer to be "waited on," rather than having to go grocery shopping, prepare our own meals, etc. In fact, we're looking for the first time into taking some kind of small group tour (I've posted elsewhere about this), just so that more or less everything will be taken care of. Not the way we prefer to travel, but it's better than not being able to travel at all.

London
reviews: 7
6. Re: quiet hotel in Avignon?

Have you looked at Chateau Talaud? We are staying there in July and it looks beautiful and relaxing!

New York, NY
reviews: 48
7. Re: quiet hotel in Avignon?

For quiet and restful luxury, I suggest La Mirande. While it is in the center and adjacent to the Popes' Palace, there is no vehicular traffic. Since you are interested in a weekly stay, you may want to consider calling the hotel directly for the rate. Don't worry, they speak English. In addition to being a lovely property, they offer many activities and interesting tours to their guests.

8. Re: quiet hotel in Avignon?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:33 pm, April 26, 2013
Avignon, France
Destination Expert
for Avignon
reviews: 76
9. Re: quiet hotel in Avignon?

There has been quite a lot of info about hotels, including the Mirmande, Hotel d'Europe etc on Nancy's other thread, including the suggestion to check directly with hotels she's interested in:

tripadvisor.co.uk/…47981328

Phidou, we also learned on the other thread that they won't have a car, so are planning to take tours etc from Avignon.

Edited: 5:39 am, March 18, 2013
florida
10. Re: quiet hotel in Avignon?

I'm grateful for the responses, and I promise you-- I've been doing plenty of research into each of the suggestions. La Mirande looks like a wonderful place indeed, but I'm fairly certain that it's well over our budget. I will, though, contact the hotel to see if there are special rates for staying a week. At the same time, I'm coming around to the idea of splitting our Provence time between Avignon and Aix, just for the variety. However, my husband sometimes gets distressed about moving, so I may wind up choosing one or the other. I've been reading all sorts of posts to try to decide which it should be if it's to be just one Provence stop, but of course chacun a son gout.

Thanks very much.