We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

small town near Avignon

Which Avignon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Jerusalem, Israel
reviews: 4
small town near Avignon

I am looking for a small town near Avignon that would be a good place (reasonable price) to stay as a hub in that area of Provence..

Also Ditto near Montpellier.

I am traveling with my adult son and we are thinking of renting a car and staying at two hub places and travael from these to nearby sites in Provence.

Provence
reviews: 7
1. Re: small town near Avignon

What kind of budge are you looking at ?

Looking to hotel or self catering ?

Fro cheaper prices, look at less touristy city like Chateaurenard is my suggestion

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 11
2. Re: small town near Avignon

Near Avignon, I would suggest either St-Remy-de-Provence or L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue. They are both large enough to have a good selection of shops and restaurants, yet small enough that parking is not a major problem.

Jerusalem, Israel
3. Re: small town near Avignon

I forgot to say that we are interested in visiting historical places, museums, viewing pretty sites and easy hiking.

Jerusalem, Israel
4. Re: small town near Avignon

I also neglected to say that we are traveling in April (7th -14th). We are vegetarians so are not iconcerened about finding lovely places to eat and drink wine.

How do we find out about bus schedules to and from Avignon and Montpellier even though we have a car we would like to spend time in these cities without having to worry about parking our car.

Provence
reviews: 7
5. Re: small town near Avignon

here is the bus from Avignon to Arles

lepilote.com/ftp/FR_documents_LER/FH18.pdf

And Avignon Aix

lepilote.com/ftp/FR_documents_LER/FH23.pdf

Then the map of the local transport in the whole region

regionpaca.fr/transport/…ler.html

and the Train

…ter-sncf.com/Images/Paca/Tridion/1.1.0_CART…

Hope that will help

UK
Destination Expert
for Provence
reviews: 77
6. Re: small town near Avignon

For both l'Isle sur la sorgue and St Remy you will pay a bit more as they are very touristy. You might want to look at Tarascon as an alternative (small town).

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
reviews: 16
7. Re: small town near Avignon

Or Uzès.

Scotland
reviews: 125
8. Re: small town near Avignon

I would agree with Chateaurenard. I've not personally stayed there but it is a lovely little place. We normally stay in Le Pontet but that might be a bit too small and there is maybe not that much to do there but it's great for getting into Avignon and the surrounding areas.

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 42
9. Re: small town near Avignon

As you are travelling in April...I would choose a larger place like L'Isle sur la Sorgue to stay in. Smaller Provencal towns go into "hibernation" in the winter and in April, they are just waking up.

UK
Destination Expert
for Provence
reviews: 77
10. Re: small town near Avignon

L'isle sur la Sorgue hibernates for Monday-Wednesday every week.

Get answers to your questions about Avignon