We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Daytrip to Les Baux de Provence and other sights

Which Avignon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 26
Daytrip to Les Baux de Provence and other sights

We are planning to stop for a few nights in Avignon on our way from Nice to Paris and I was wondering how to see some of the sights such as Les Baux de Provence, Pont du Gard, etc. I have seen that there are day tours for around 380Euros that would take our family of four but that is a lot to spend for one day and I was wondering if it is possible to see some of these places another way (for example, bus or regional train) or if we should rent a car for a day.

We love to walk and hope to relax and take our time on our daytrip, stopping for a lunch in a little village.

I have read several guidebooks and each one seems to say that a particular place is the best (St-Remy, Arles, Avignon, etc). I can't see everything but love old ruins so Lez Baux de Provence is a must see.

I don't mind a guided tour but don't really want to spend 380Euros!

Thanks in advance.

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 42
1. Re: Daytrip to Les Baux de Provence and other sights

Rent a car...it gives you the most freedom. Public transport in rural France is not geared for touristic travel, but rather to get French citizens to and from work and school. So, you are stuck with that limited schedule....

As Avignon, is a walled city make sure your hotel or apartment has parking inside the walls. There is so much to see in the area, you will be shortchanging yourself if you only rent for a day...don't miss the Luberon. You will need to take the shuttle out to the TGV station to rent a car....I think that there is only one car rental office in town, but all of the majors are out at the TGV station...

Edited: 11:02 pm, February 11, 2013
Fairbanks, Alaska
reviews: 107
2. Re: Daytrip to Les Baux de Provence and other sights

When are you going? If it is after June 1, there is better bus transportation for the summer. I agree with the suggestion to rent a car, but if you want to check out the bus, here is a link to an outdated schedule: sudest-mobilites.fr/horaires/cartreize_1059_…

Edited: 11:11 pm, February 11, 2013
Fairbanks, Alaska
reviews: 107
3. Re: Daytrip to Les Baux de Provence and other sights

Can't find a 2013 schedule, but here is the 2012 schedule instead of the 2011 schedule above: sudest-mobilites.fr/horaires/cartreize_59_ar…

If you time the bus trip right, you can stop in Les Baux on the way to or from Arles. Or you could stop in St Remy.

This map will get you to schedules for the various bus routes in the area: http://www.sudest-mobilites.fr/

If you do decide to use a tour guide, Marlene Boyer is great: tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

Destination Expert
for Provence
reviews: 2
4. Re: Daytrip to Les Baux de Provence and other sights

Regardless of when you are going - Rent a car !!!

WHY? Because it will allow you to go where you want to go, when you want to do so.

Our base is a lovely village situated just below Les Baux, that is only about a 20 - 25 minute drive to Arles. We find it to ba a well centered base for exploring virtually all of Western Provence via a series of day-trips, since it is also not that far from Avignon, or the A-road, if we want to really explore a more distant destination.

Driving in the region is really easy, so, so please do not even think about day tours - as you can visit the same places on your own at a fraction of the price, by purchasing a good guidebook ( ie. Michelin Green Guide) prior to departure, and then a guide for a specific site when you get there - yes, they have them in English, as well as a host of other languages.

Kansas City, USA
reviews: 32
5. Re: Daytrip to Les Baux de Provence and other sights

I have to wholeheartedly agree with folks so far. Rent a car and drive to Les Baux. Every time we have taken friends there we end up spending hours longer than we intended. A tour just wont allow you that flexibility.

The Pont is interesting, but I would personally skip it to have more time in Les Baux if I was restricted on time.

Cheers!

Mark

UK
Destination Expert
for Provence
reviews: 77
6. Re: Daytrip to Les Baux de Provence and other sights

If you want to take a bus, one runs between St Remy and Arles on weekends in June and September and daily in July and August. This is the link for timetables:

www.lepilote.com/horaires_ligne/index.asp…

bus 59 is the one that goes via Les Baux and you need to get the 57 from Avignon to St Remy first. This is a lot simpler than it sounds cos you get the connecting bus in St Remy at the same bus stop.

Oklahoma City...
reviews: 23
7. Re: Daytrip to Les Baux de Provence and other sights

We are going to be based in Aix March 17-19! We are having a hard time deciding on the best day trips to take! We will be renting a car in Aix. We are planning to drive it to Nice on the 19th. Spending 2 nights in Nice and flying home from there.

What would be your top 3 day trips for a 1st time visitor to Provence? We love it all! :)

Albuquerque, New...
reviews: 62
8. Re: Daytrip to Les Baux de Provence and other sights

lildoberman -

We are in the area now. This is our second trip. We were here for 2 weeks in October and now for 5 weeks.

1. Nimes for Roman ruins

2. Le Colorado Plateau on Sunday- in Rustrel. http://www.colorado-provencal.com

3. Market on Monday http://www.beyond.fr/villages/forcalq.html

9. Re: Daytrip to Les Baux de Provence and other sights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, February 20, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Avignon