We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to wear?

Which Avignon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Monterey, California
What to wear?

My wife and I will be in Provence for five days the last week of May with L'Isle sur la Sorgue or Bonnieux as a home base. Day trips to Arles, Apt, and/or St.Remy, etc... What is the appropriate dress for this area and season. Men, women - daytime, evening, restaurants...

Sorry if this seems like a pedestrian question but we've never been to Provence (or any part of France).

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 42
1. Re: What to wear?

Dress like you would in Monterey. It would take too much effort and money to not stand out like a tourist...

Remember, Provence is the country...expect to get caught behind the occasional tractor in the Luberon.

Bonnieux and L'Isle sur la Sorgue are both good bases. Bonnieux is a perched village...very pretty and charming....a few restaurants and shops. L'Isle is bigger, with great markets on Thursday and particularly Sunday.

Los Angeles...
reviews: 295
2. Re: What to wear?

Think casual since Provence is a countryside. Husband wears shorts and polo shirts during the day; pants and polo shirts in the evenings and out to dinner. I wear skirts, summer dresses, ankle pants with tops. Again, I will wear a nicer outfit to dinner but nothing too formal. We are big fans of Banana Republic and this style seems to fit very well with the local population. End of May may still be cool, particularly in the evenings, if it is a late Spring, so bring some layers for yourself, cardigan sweater and shawl for your wife.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
reviews: 76
3. Re: What to wear?

You can wear whatever that is comfortable to you. Most places don't have a dress code. Just use your common sense.

Provence
reviews: 7
4. Re: What to wear?

Indeed you can dress casual. Avoiding shorts in restaurant in the evening.

As for the weather, days should be warm in the 80s. Evening can be warm or chilly, esp pending on the wind factor.

I would suggest you stay in a not too small village as L'isle (or St remy nearby) if you want some sort of "action/fun" in the evening. Most of the small village tends to be boring in the evening. But that's a question of taste.

Kansas City, USA
reviews: 32
5. Re: What to wear?

I really worried about proper dress my first time in Provence. Now, I pretty much dress there just as I do at home. Casual/upscale casual is just fine. Shorts, jeans, polos, linen button downs, etc

I usually pack a casual linen sport coat and slacks for nice dinners out, but I'm not dead sure its a must have.

Keep in mind there are some little dress codes, most churches expect women to cover their shoulders and men should always remove their hats. I saw a priest in Carcassone darn near tackle a man for not doing so.

Most importantly, relax and have fun!

Mark

Paris, France
6. Re: What to wear?

Q: what to wear ?

A: clothes

BTW: www.thefreedictionary.com/_/dict.aspx…

Edited: 9:46 am, January 25, 2013
Knoxville, Tennessee
7. Re: What to wear?

We're in the Luberon every year for most of the month of May. It's an absolutely beautiful time of year. (See some photos here: slowtraveltours.com/blog/… )

In May the temperatures usually reach the mid 70’s to low 80’s with overnight lows in the mid 50’s to low 60’s. Most days are sunny and bright. You can usually eat lunch outdoors, but probably not dinner. You might experience a brief rain shower or Mistral winds.

What to Wear

You can definitely be yourself in the Luberon... it's in the countryside. People don't dress up much unless they're going to a very special restaurant. Slacks and casual shirts/tops are fine... and jeans too during the day. I wear capris a lot, and my husband often wears hiking pants or khakis.

I'd plan for temperatures that may vary between 55 and 85. This means you'll want to plan on layers that you can take off or add during the day, including some sort of jacket or shawl for evenings. And even though you hopefully wouldn't need it, I'd bring some sort of a rain jacket or small umbrella.

One of the most important things: good walking shoes that are well broken in. Many of the villages are perched, with cobblestone streets and you'll be doing a good amount of walking. You don't need heeled or flimsy shoes. Be sure to have at least one pair of closed toed shoes, as in May you may not be able to wear sandals every day.

We've been spending several months a year in Bonnieux for about ten years and now have a place there. An evening in Bonnieux (or other Provence villages) probably involves going to dinner at one of the local restaurants... which usually start serving at 7:30 or 8 pm and may take two hours or more. If you have an apartment and cook your own meal, you can go for a stroll or maybe have an aperitif or late night drink at one of the village bars. We think it's a good life.

Hope this is helpful in planning what to take on your special trip... I remember the magic of my first visit to this area, and I know you'll have a wonderful time.

Kathy

Edited: 3:16 pm, January 25, 2013
8. Re: What to wear?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, January 27, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Avignon