We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Would you stay in Avignon

Which Avignon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lake Oswego, Oregon
Would you stay in Avignon

We will be in Provence late June. Would you recommend staying in Avignon or near and going for the day? Any suggestions where to stay?

Lake Oswego, Oregon
11. Re: Would you stay in Avignon

Where would you recommend we stay. Town or even recommendation of accommodations?

Thank You

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 53
12. Re: Would you stay in Avignon

I like L'Isle sur la Sorgue as a base and if you are into photography....The Thursday and (particularly) the Sunday Market there presents some great photography opportunities...have a look at some fotos here.

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g608811-d4…

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 50
13. Re: Would you stay in Avignon

Personally I love L'Isle sur la Sorgue (fantastic for photos with its waterwheels, canals and market) and we will probably return there next year. Uzes is also a lovely place to stay, just into Languedoc-Roussillion. Last trip we stayed further north at the small village of Sablet but it proved to be maybe a bit too small, though very suitable as a base for exploring places such as Mt Ventoux and Gigondas.

…blogspot.com.au/2011/05/encore-provence-par… and following pages

UK
Destination Expert
for Provence
reviews: 82
14. Re: Would you stay in Avignon

My favourite is St Remy if you want smallish but touristy, Apt if you want less touristy or Arles if you want bigger.

New York City, New...
reviews: 177
15. Re: Would you stay in Avignon

I would stay in a smaller town and visit Avignon. From a smaller town you can easily get in and out and when I'm on vacation I don't prefer cities (except for Paris Nice or Aix:)

UK
16. Re: Would you stay in Avignon

If you're spending 4 days with a tour company photographing lavender, they will be taking you out into the countryside surrounding Avignon, and I imagine they'll take the opportunity to visit some photogenic villages as well.

grande-traversee-alpes.com/routes-de-la-lava…

les-plus-beaux-villages-de-france.org/en/…149

If you're wanting some contrasting photographs, then there's some merit in staying in Avignon and using it as a base to visit towns like Arles, Orange, L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue, and possibly the pont-du-Gard, which have amazing Roman architecture, and the towns have older buildings and hidden corners to explore. You can visit all of them by public transport, so you're not having to mess around finding parking spaces.

Avignon festival begins on July 5th, and the town will become very busy:

http://www.festival-avignon.com/en/

Edited: 1:18 pm, January 22, 2013
Provence
reviews: 7
17. Re: Would you stay in Avignon

I love Avignon but driving and parking in the city in summer time is a nightmare.

I love St Remy for the fact that it is closeby to Avignon, Luberon, Camargue, pont du Gard, Arles and many other destination.

And if you love photo, dont forget to pop in Lacoste where the Savannah college of Art has a big base and where you might get to see photo exhibition....

Shame you're not coming during the Arles photo festival starting in July...

For more info about the st remy region, you may check this nice blog

http://theprovencepost.blogspot.fr/

hope that will help.

18. Re: Would you stay in Avignon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, January 25, 2014