We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

October visit to Avignon

Which Avignon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kewaunee
reviews: 18
October visit to Avignon

We are planning to visit France in October and wanted to sample some of the red wines of the southern Rhone. We have allotted 4 nights and will be using public transportation. Am I wrong in assuming Avignon would be a good base of operations.

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 53
1. Re: October visit to Avignon

Provence is best explored with a car. Public transportation is not geared at all for tourists, but rather to get French citizens to and from work and school. It is going to be a HUGE challenge visiting wineries without a car unless you take private tours.

Bedoin, France
reviews: 10
2. Re: October visit to Avignon

Agree with Dan. Plus, if you are visiting during the first or second week of October, many wineries will be closed to visitors for the harvest. Not all, but many.

Avignon can be a good base, each situation is different. It is definitely a good place if you intend to take guided tours as many depart from Avignon.

wisconsin
reviews: 7
3. Re: October visit to Avignon

It seems like renting a car is the thing to do. Since I have a small backyard vineyard myself, the harvest is something I would be interested in seeing. We would rather visit an area not so touristy with more of a country setting but my French is very limited. Would there be a more small town setting you could recommend?

Vancouver, Canada
4. Re: October visit to Avignon

Mike.....Seguret is a lovely little village and is quite close to Gigondas and Chateauneuf du Pape. Another option would be somewhere in the Luberon....Bonnieux is great.

wisconsin
5. Re: October visit to Avignon

Thanks for your help

Vancouver, Canada
6. Re: October visit to Avignon

Happy to help, Mike! If you elect to stay in Seguret, I would recommend La Bastide Bleue. It is quite small (5 rooms I think?) and is well located just below the village. Quite good value too, as I recall....certainly was when I stayed there a few years ago.

wisconsin
7. Re: October visit to Avignon

O.K. Thanks again, I will consider it.

8. Re: October visit to Avignon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, January 21, 2014