We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One night stay

Which Avignon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Orleans...
reviews: 1
One night stay

I am traveling to Provence in mid May. I will have a rental car. I am staying two nights in Avignon then two nights in Gordes. I then have one open night before I drive to Aix for two additional nights. I am looking for a suggestion on where to stay for that one night in between Gordes and Aix.

Los Angeles...
reviews: 295
1. Re: One night stay

Merekk, I think you are setting yourself up to too many check-ins, unpacking, packing, check-outs, all in a very short period of time. Two nights is really just one day.

First, if you have a car, Avignon is not a great base. It is trafficy and there is lots of (unattractive) commerce all around it, so driving in and out on your day trips will nt be easy. You could visit Avignon on a day trip.

Second, you do not need a base between Gordes and Aix. If you want to add a night to one of your other two bases, I would definitely add it to Gordes since Luberon is pretty.

Where are you coming from and where are you going after Aix?

New Orleans...
reviews: 1
2. Re: One night stay

I truly appreciate your comments. This is a vacation for my husband and me. After we made plans to stay in Avignon I read many similar comments to your's about that city. After Aix we go to Nice and then a train to Paris. Any suggestions on where we should stay instead of Avignon. I believe you are right about the packing, unpacking etc.

Avignon, France
Destination Expert
for Avignon
reviews: 76
3. Re: One night stay

I often seem to read on here comments from the same poster to the effect that ''It is trafficy and there is lots of (unattractive) commerce all around it, so driving in and out on your day trips will nt be easy''.

I wonder how many visits that poster has made to Avignon, at at what times of the year. A bad experience will obviously colour opinions, but the experience might not be at all typical.

I visited California a few years ago and truly hated most of it, but know perfectly well that thousands of other people love visiting there. I wouldn't dream of posting on a site about America that California is a place with much unttractive commerce and awful traffic jams and best avoided. It just wasn't the right place for me in a number of ways, such as the B&B we stayed at and the awful breakfasts served, how walking around instead of driving seemed to signal that we were nuts, the size of meals, the amazing warnings outside restaurants about there being cancer-forming items inside.

Yes, from some directions (but not all) you approach or leave Avignon passing commerce,colleges, hospitals, places where people live; but as most times of heavy traffic other than around the Avignon festival are in the morning and evening rush hours, most people visiting don't get held up for many minutes. We go into Avignon quite a few times each year, living in a small town a short drive away. We've only ever been caught in traffic once - when there was a union demonstration taking place. We never visit during Avignon festival, when I know driving conditions can be very bad, but other than that we visit at all times of year.

Avignon isn't for everyone, but mos tvisitors love it and all it has to offer whether historical or shopping, restaurants etc. It also has great transport links. I wouldn't want to live there, as I don't like large places or tiny villages. But for a visit of a few days or more, it has a lot to offer.

Mrrekk, in May it's unlikely that you would meet huge traffic jam, even on holiday weekends. As for choosing several places to stay, I would also advise you choose at most 2 places (preferably one) to stay for approximately a week's visit, and make your choice/s hubs for visiting the places you would most like to experience. Otherwise you would lose a lot of your precious time packing, unpacking and moving from place to place.

If you would care to tell us what you are keen to see, whether marvellous historical sites, hilltop villages etc, we could perhaps give you some ideas to choose from.

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 53
4. Re: One night stay

Avignon is a fine base....but another good base is just a few miles east in L'Isle sur la Sorgue. Just on the edge of the Luberon and lots to see and do all around.

Los Angeles...
reviews: 295
5. Re: One night stay

gardengirlie, looks like I started a WWIII with you and I certainly did not mean to.

True, the season may be a factor as May would not be as crowded as late June-early July when we normally visit Provence and Avignon. I have cousins in Orange and in Hyeres, so my opinions are based on personal experience of visiting the area.

However, I stated my, however it may be, subjective opinion which these boards are all about. And I do not think that I am the only one who is not fond of Avignon as a base when visitor has a rental car. If someone does not have a rental car and relies on public transport, that is a different matter altogether.

With regard to my opinion, it is primarily based upon me living in LA and enduring the horrid traffic, as well as often unattractive, lacking any and all charm, commerce, so when I finally go on my holidays, I want to be as far the heck away as possible from it. For me Provence is about charming countryside, small villages, etc. It is not about traffic and/or unattractive apartment buildings, such as around Avignon. I did not have any bad experiences per se, only my observations and my expectations in general which I relay here. So, in short, LA is not really for me either but my job here allows me to travel to France. :) And I am perfectly o.k. with you hating LA/California, since this is your opinion and you are certainly entitled to it.

Having said the above and, hopefully, explained by position to some satisfaction, and pending Merekk's return with her input as to who they are and what they like, I am thinking that one base in Western Provence would be fine. L'Isle sur la Sorgue is nice, although we have never stayed there but only visited mostly on Sunday market days. But, if Merekk picked Gordes and wants to stick with it, then how about Uze for the other base? Visit Pont du Gard and Avignon on day trips? Do you like wine? Then maybe a base in one of the small villages of the Dentelles, so that you could spend a day or two driving around the wine country?

Here is another idea.. how about staying overning in Aix (not two nights) on your way to Nice to experience Aix in the evening? That would free another day for Western Provence, unless there is something specific you want to do/see in Aix. Also, since you will be continuing to Paris (with a stay there, I assume), then I would want to maximize my country/village time, and Aix, as well as Avignon, are small cities as opposed to villages.

Again, my .02 cents here.

Edited: 5:44 pm, January 18, 2013
6. Re: One night stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, January 20, 2014