We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need info on how much we can do from Avignon in 3 days

Which Avignon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
reviews: 45
Need info on how much we can do from Avignon in 3 days

Need feedback on a proposed itinerary:

Day 1 - drive from Eze to Avignon. Stop at Carpentras and Cavilion on our way to our hotel. Too ambitious?

Day 2 - Visit Isle market, lunch in Gordes and see the Abbey and lavender fields. Any other must see suugestions?

Day 3 - Drive to Pont Du Gard, go to Nimes to see Maison Carree and be in Arles by 2 PM to meet tour guide who will take us for an afternoon tour of Camargue. Way too much?

Day 4 - walk around Avignon and drive to train station to drop off car and take train to Paris.

Any help would be most appreciated!

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 41
1. Re: Need info on how much we can do from Avignon in 3 days

Day 1...any particular reason for Carpentras and Cavaillon?

Day 2.....Gordes is pretty small and if you are looking for a village restaurant...the pickings are slim. I'd check out the Ferme ds la Huppe (just outside of Gordes) for lunch.

http://www.lafermedelahuppe.com/

Don't know what time of year that you are travelling, but if you are planning to visit the lavender fields, I trust that you researched when the lavender is in bloom. Not really much to see at the Abbey....there is a tour in French.

Day 3...way too much.

Montreal
reviews: 30
2. Re: Need info on how much we can do from Avignon in 3 days

I have to agree that day 3 is way way too much !!!

I don't know at what time you have your train on day 4, but it doesn't give you a lot of time to visit Avignon.

Les Baux is also lovely to visit but I don't think you will be able to fit them anywhere.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
reviews: 2
3. Re: Need info on how much we can do from Avignon in 3 days

I´ll go farther and say that day 3 is impossible. You have not considered drive times between locations. You could do Pont du Gard/Nîmes in one day and Arles/Camargue in another but to accomplish this itinerary, you will need 5 days and it will be an exhausting 5 days.

Edited: 9:51 pm, January 17, 2013
Los Angeles...
reviews: 266
4. Re: Need info on how much we can do from Avignon in 3 days

Will day one be Friday, since Friday market in Carpentras would be one of very few reasons to stop there. Another reason would be to visit the synagogue and yet another the abundant ATMs. What do you intend to see in Cavaillon?

Day 2 is fine for the most part. Is it a Sunday by any chance, since you are planning on visiting market in Isle? When are you traveling? Lavender generally blooms from late June through July when it is harvested. So, anytime within this period is your window. Plan on driving around the magnificent lavender fields below the village of Sault assuming, again, that you will be visiting in late June/July.

How about visiting Pont Du Gard and Uze on day three? have lunch in Uze - many great places to eat and have a glass of rose right there in the middle of the central square.

Bottom line - it is fine to have a plan, even an overambitious one, as long as you understand that something will have to give and you can make that adjustment when need be.

New York City, New...
reviews: 148
5. Re: Need info on how much we can do from Avignon in 3 days

Eaverthing except 3 seems reasonable.

On day 1 are many great places to visit between Eze and Avignon depending on the route you take. I'm not sure you picked the best two.

Los Angeles...
6. Re: Need info on how much we can do from Avignon in 3 days

Thank you all so much for your responses!

A few clarifications; we are going on June 19-22

Day 1 is Wednesday - we are no longer doing Cavilion and Carpentras (it was all about the Jewish tours). We are now stopping for lunch in Aix de Provence, hired a tour guide and then we go into Avignon.

Day 2 is set - I will take your advice, go to the Isle street market and then go for lunch at Ferme de la Huppe. The abbey is a maybe...and i am not sure we will be lucky enough to see the lavender.

Day 3 - completely changed based on your feedback. We will go for a private tour of Camargue and hit one or two small towns on the way back. Forget Nimes for now.

Day 4 - we will go to Pont Du Gard in the morning and will then catch a train out of Avignon to Paris at 3 PM.

Is this much better? THANK YOU!!!!!

Avignon, France
Destination Expert
for Avignon
reviews: 54
7. Re: Need info on how much we can do from Avignon in 3 days

It looks as though day 4 will be a Saturday. If you make an early start, you could visit the Pont du Gard and then drive the very short distance to Uzèsto visit the large and very popular market, before setting off for Avignon for the train.

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 41
8. Re: Need info on how much we can do from Avignon in 3 days

I am sure that you will enjoy the Ferme' de la Huppe. It is an absolutely gorgeous place and I have never been disappointed in any of the meals that I have eaten there.

You will love the market in L'Isle sur la Sorgue....

Los Angeles...
9. Re: Need info on how much we can do from Avignon in 3 days

Thank you! Great idea.

Los Angeles...
10. Re: Need info on how much we can do from Avignon in 3 days

They already took our reservation. Thank you so much for the suggestion.