We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip on Sunday to Gordes area?

Which Avignon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
reviews: 13
Day trip on Sunday to Gordes area?

We will be in Avignon for a long weekend in October. I am looking for a reasonable drive to take on Sunday. Searching web it looks like Gordes is quite beautiful and has towns/abbey/lovely views. Has anyone done this itinerary from base in Avignon? I'd appreciate thoughts, suggestions, restaurants, and any comments. (I am open to other routes as well--don't really want to buy a guidebook to research for a one day drive)

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 53
1. Re: Day trip on Sunday to Gordes area?

Charles....your local public library should have all the guidebooks you need....for free!

New York City, New...
2. Re: Day trip on Sunday to Gordes area?

Thanks for the suggestion! I am hoping to get personal experiences and views--that's why I like trip advisor. I love to read threads that have all sorts of tips/photos/ideas.

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
reviews: 23
3. Re: Day trip on Sunday to Gordes area?

Gordes is close enough to Avignon for a day trip that you can visit more than just Gordes--which is a small village with not a great deal to see. In fact, I think the best of Gordes is the sight of it as you drive toward the village and see it perched high up from across the valley.

Other Lubéron villages of interest include Bonnieux, Ménerbes, Roussillon, Oppède-le-Vieux, and Goult.

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 53
4. Re: Day trip on Sunday to Gordes area?

Yep...unless you eat there...you can see the village of Gordes in an hour....it has less than 2,000 citizens. The bories are somewhat interesting and the lavender at the Abbaye de Senanque will be long gone in October.There is a tour of the Abbaye (in French), but unless you speak French....not much to see / do at the Abbaye in October.

Destination Expert
for Provence
reviews: 2
5. Re: Day trip on Sunday to Gordes area?

On a Sunday, you might want to consider checking out the market in L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue, enjoying your mid-day meal there, and then driving over to Gordes and perhaps even Roussillon. While Fontainede-Vaulluse is not that far away, it isn't worth the drive in October, since the water-levels will be really low.

Bedoin, France
reviews: 10
6. Re: Day trip on Sunday to Gordes area?

Based on your other thread, I take it you are not considering the Isle Sunday route.

However, if you do, October water levels are not always so low. It really depends on the season. If we get much early snow, the water levels can rise quickly. Also, September and October can bring lots of rain - it really varies from year to year. So, if you plan to visit Fontaine-de-Vaucluse in October, just watch the weather prior to your visit to determine if the levels are high or low.

New York City, New...
7. Re: Day trip on Sunday to Gordes area?

Hmm, from comments here maybe Gordes area not as wonderful for day trip as the tourist site I visited said? avignon-et-provence.com/luberon/….UPeiU3y9KK0

Are there any other suggestions? Yes, on another thread I got advice or money market in Bedoin and itinerary there, and yes, that means skip L'isle-sur-la-sorgue. We are very open to any nice loop itinerary on Sunday.

I have searched on day trips from avignon and tried a variety of other key words but I am mostly turning up questions from folks about using public transportation.

Thanks for input!

New York City, New...
8. Re: Day trip on Sunday to Gordes area?

Thought of one additional factor. It would be nice to have dinner in a town not too far from Avignon so drive back isn't difficult. Or we might come back for dinner so we can drink more? I have no idea how people who stay in villas or in the country find their way back home after dinner with wine!

Los Angeles...
reviews: 295
9. Re: Day trip on Sunday to Gordes area?

Charles, the Sunday market in L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue is an institution and should not be missed, IMO. But, you can get there real early, walk around, make your purchases, assuming you want to buy anything at all, and leave by 10:00-10:30.

Assuming you did not buy a rottiserie chicken or foie gras which need refrigeration [sp but datt will surely fix it :) ], you can then continue on to Gordes, do a walk about, and even catch another village or two of the Luberon, e.g. Rousillon [sp once again]. Lunch ... I cannot recommend one restaurant in Gordes because I think they may be too tourist trappy. So just grab a slice of pizza or a sandwich. The views onto the village of Gordes are striking to say the least. I think the best of all the villages of the Luberon.

BTW - there is no lavender in front of the Abbey for several years now. Someone said there is wheat but we just saw a bunch of weeds in June 2011. Still, lovely architecture and well worth a drive down a crazy one lane road.

Now, the fact that you did the market in L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue on a Sunday should not prevent you from heading toward Bedoin on a Monday. The market is much smaller but very nice and the whole town of Bedoin is a charmer. You could certainly grab a bite to eat before heading out. After Bedoin, you could visit Vaison and some wine villages in the Dentelles.

Here you go - two days worth of outings!

Los Angeles...
reviews: 295
10. Re: Day trip on Sunday to Gordes area?

PS: to the extent that you can, I would suggest you dine with wine in Avignon. It is better for your sole and your safety not to drink and drive. Just my .2 cents on the subject.