We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tgv questions Avignon to Paris, Gare de Lyon

Which Avignon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Huntington Beach CA
reviews: 7
tgv questions Avignon to Paris, Gare de Lyon

I thought I could only book 3 months in advance, but I was able to book my train tickets going: CDG 2 to Avignon. They were more expensive than I thought they were going to be. Anyways, a few days later, I tried to book my train coming back & all I see are 2 choices that are really high price. My confusion is, it says idTGV instead of TGV. What's the difference? Also, when I put in Gare de Lyon, it asked me for more info, Then I had to choose from 3 different Gare de Lyons. One has an A behind it, one had rer behind it. I did an experiment & put in march in instead of April, but same dy of the week: Wed & I had many more choices of trains at a cheaper price. So do they schedule more trains or show more when it is 3 months in advance or closer to the date? I didn't book this ticket yet. I am waiting until next week, as it'll show more trains I think. Can anyone clarify this for me?

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
reviews: 4
1. Re: tgv questions Avignon to Paris, Gare de Lyon

Generally, you may book only 90 days in advance. iDTGV tickets may be booked up to 5 months in advance. iDTGV trains may only be booked on line, the tickets are non refundable and non transferable, prices start at 19€ and increase as tickets are sold. Otherwise, there is not a great deal of difference between the iDTGV (not idTGV) trains and the regular TGVs.

Much is not clear in your question. What website are you using? Where is it exactly you want to travel? If it´s CDG to Avignon, there may or may not be direct trains. The SNCF website will show non direct trains requiring you to connect via RER to Gare de Lyon or some other intermediary stop. Same on the return.

You might want to try again but read everything and assume nothing. It could be helpful if you translated ¨high price¨ into euros.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 11
2. Re: tgv questions Avignon to Paris, Gare de Lyon

I do not know what web site you are using, but for the best prices, book direct with the train operator as far ahead as possible. Tickets go on sale 3 months before travel, and the cheapest tickets often sell out quickly. Prices keep going up as the travel date gets closer.

You can get train times and costs, and make bookings, in English at www.tgv-europe.com/en but use Antarctic as the "Ticket collection country" in the first screen to avoid being transferred to RailEurope, which has higher prices and does not list all the trains. For notes on online booking, see www.nickbooth.id.au/Tips/FrenchTrain.htm

Saint Louis...
reviews: 13
3. Re: tgv questions Avignon to Paris, Gare de Lyon

idTGV tickets go on sale 5 months in advance and prices will continue to increase as you get closer to your travel date. The boarding process is different, you line up and your ticket is scanned as you board the train.

Would be helpful to know what site your using and the actual price of your ticket.

Huntington Beach CA
4. Re: tgv questions Avignon to Paris, Gare de Lyon

Sydneynick I am using the site you stated. I am going CDG 2 to Avignon tgv April 10th. I saw 50 euro tickets, but when I put in my date & the times I wanted, it was 70 euros. I also put in CDG 2, but lyon came up for some reason for 50 euros as an option, but I caught it. I now want to get a train from Avignon tgv to paris (lyon). Aril 17th. I am too early I guess to see all the trains, except idtgv, which are over 70 euros. I will try to book on Jan 17th then.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
5. Re: tgv questions Avignon to Paris, Gare de Lyon

Yes: you are trying too early for the ordinary TGV trains.

Note that, for travel to Paris, you do not need to enter the name of the station. Just say you want to go to Paris: the web site tells you which station will be used.

Huntington Beach CA
6. Re: tgv questions Avignon to Paris, Gare de Lyon

oh ok. I now understand the difference between idtgv & tgv. Thanks. I put in Paris & nothing came up. I put in Lyon is it gave me 3 different choices I had to choose. Any will do? I got my prem tickets CGD 2 to Avignon tgv for 80 euros for 2. I just looked & they are now 114 euros! (April10). I will have to wait till Jan 17th to get the ones for April 17th. Is it US time or France time? (meaning can I get them on the 16th?). I was mistaken on the prices on my 2nd post. I thought I would pay 50 euros not 80. (I thought I saw 50 when I was researching) . . But idtgv for my return train is 70 euros, but the time isn't what I want. (choice of only 2). I will definitely wait till the 17th. thanks.

Edited: 8:10 pm, January 13, 2013
Saint Louis...
reviews: 13
7. Re: tgv questions Avignon to Paris, Gare de Lyon

As Nick mentioned when booking your return from Avignon, just choose Paris.

Am afraid that if you choose Lyon, you will end up in Lyon, France and not Gare du Lyon in Paris.

And I see where the idTGV fare is 35 euros - not 70. Maybe you meant 70 for 2? You are correct that there are only 2 time options though.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
8. Re: tgv questions Avignon to Paris, Gare de Lyon

Ah yes. If you say that there will be 2 people travelling, the price you are shown is the total for two people.

Huntington Beach CA
9. Re: tgv questions Avignon to Paris, Gare de Lyon

70 for 2 people, yes. I put Gare du Lyon , not just Lyon, thanks. I'm a lazy typer, sorry. When I just put Paris in, it gave me the airport & some others, but not Gare du Lyon . Still not sure what all 3 mean tho' : Gare du Lyon rer, Gare du Lyon A & Gare du Lyon . Thanks.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
10. Re: tgv questions Avignon to Paris, Gare de Lyon

You do not need to specify a station: just choose "Paris".

Gare du Lyon RER is the suburban RER train station under the mainline station. The others are 2 parts of the mainline station.