We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving from Rome to Avignon

Which Avignon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wilmington, Vermont
Level Contributor
6 posts
17 reviews
driving from Rome to Avignon

We are planning to drive from Rome to a vacation apartment in the center of Avignon in early June.

Has anyone done that drive?

We would to take our time, and we would probably spend one night on the way someplace between.

thanks!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
14,351 posts
16 reviews
1. Re: driving from Rome to Avignon

If you rent a car in one country and drop off in another you will incur significant drop off fees - have you checked into this? Or will you be returning the car to Italy?

If you need to drop the car in Avignon, then you may want to consider dropping the car in Italy near the border. And pickig up a new car after you take the train into France. last time I checked rentals in Italy required purchase of full coverage insurance from the renatl company, but France did not.

To determine the time/tolls/fuel, etc you can try mapping your route using www.viamichelin.com

Wilmington, Vermont
Level Contributor
6 posts
17 reviews
2. Re: driving from Rome to Avignon

We are renting the car at the airport in Rome and returning it there as well.

Thanks so much for the suggested site. I'm going to try it right now!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
9,567 posts
56 reviews
3. Re: driving from Rome to Avignon

Racegirl is right....the additional insurances that you pay for initiating a car rental in Italy can really add up. And it is common to rent cars for much less in France. Depending on the lenth of the time that you are going to be in France...you may want to investigate dropping your Italian rental at the French border, picking up a French car and doing the reverse on your return.

Couple of other things to think about....you are driving through some gorgeous country....likely on an autoroute (freeway)...you might want to think about staying for a few days in the Cote d'Azur instead of just stopping for one night.

For what it's worth, the autoroute drive (A1 in Italy and A8 in France) is a pretty boring drive. There are a few pretty spots, but I wouldn't describe it as scenic...

As for Avignon....cars and the "Center of Avignon" generally don't mix. Does your vacation rental have parking? As I am sure you know, Avignon is a walled city... and cars in Avignon are a challenge at best...

Do you have the option of flying into a closer airport like NIce or Marseille?

Edited: 8:01 pm, December 27, 2012
Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
24,535 posts
4. Re: driving from Rome to Avignon

Unless you enjoy autostrada/autoroute driving, it could be more pleasant to fly cheaply on Air France/Alitalia to Marseille or on EasyJet to Nice, and rent a car at one of these airports. The air fares for two are likely to be fairly similar to the cost of tolls and fuel when driving - and you'll save significantly on the rental costs.

Gard, France
Destination Expert
for Avignon
Level Contributor
8,686 posts
101 reviews
5. Re: driving from Rome to Avignon

If you do still decide to drive, Viamichelin is a good site. But you do need to add about 20% on to travel time to allow for heavy traffic, bad weather, breaks along the way etc.

Wilmington, Vermont
Level Contributor
6 posts
17 reviews
6. Re: driving from Rome to Avignon

Well! I'm pretty much convinced now that we'll fly from Rome into Nice.

Thanks for all the advice.

Now- any suggestions on a place to stay for two nights between Nice and Avignon? (don't really like the beach...)

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
9,567 posts
56 reviews
7. Re: driving from Rome to Avignon

It's 200 miles from Nice to Avignon...what are you looking for?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
14,351 posts
16 reviews
8. Re: driving from Rome to Avignon

I would just stay in Nice, and then rent the car as you leave town.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
9,567 posts
56 reviews
9. Re: driving from Rome to Avignon

The more info you provide us with....the more help we can be. We had asked earlier if you are going to be able to park a rental vehicle in your vacation rental in Avignon. Parking in Avignon is VERY difficult. If you plan to pick up a rental car in NIce and drive it to Avignon, park it in the city and use it to explore Provence, you are going to get different advice on where to stay en route from Nice to Avignon. Places accesible with a vehicle...

If you are travelling to Avignon from Nice by rail...we can offer you far fewer suggestions.

What are your interests besides "you don't like the beach"?

Wilmington, Vermont
Level Contributor
6 posts
17 reviews
10. Re: driving from Rome to Avignon

There is a parking space at the apartment rental.

We would love some recommendations for restaurants in Avignon, and day trips from there.

I have a bad knee, so stairs and long walks ( unfortunately) are somethings I must avoid.

We haven't been back to France in years, so we want to especially, just enjoy the 'view.'

Get answers to your questions about Avignon