We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transport from Avignon and getting around Luberon

Which Avignon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Biloela, Australia
reviews: 20
Transport from Avignon and getting around Luberon

Am considering a week in one of the villages of the Luberon in August. What are our options for travel to Apt from Avignon and how much might it cost? Is the Luberon easy to explore by bicycle for an average cyclist? What is the best way to then get from Avignon to Milan?

9 replies to this topic
Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 41
1. Re: Transport from Avignon and getting around Luberon

The best way to explore the Luberon is in a rented car. One of the beauties of the Luberon is the "perched villages." The perched part means that they are up on the top of hills. Hills and bikes don't mix...

I have done my share of cycling in the Luberon and I have fortunately survived. Many of the roads are very narrow and whether the French are driving a truck, a tractor or a "deux chevaux", they approach the activity like a Formula One race car driver. It is a dangerous endeavour.

Avignon to Milan...The TGV to Nice...NIce to Ventimiglia on a French train...Ventimiglia to Milan on an Italian train.

I am sure the train experts will weigh in on this section.

IMO...the best solution...If you do rent a car in the Luberon, take it to Menton...drop it there and take the train to MIlan.

Edited: 3:32 pm, December 11, 2012
UK
2. Re: Transport from Avignon and getting around Luberon

<< Hills and bikes don't mix... >>

I think you'll find a lot of cyclists come to Provence specifically to enjoy the hills ;-) And my experience is that French drivers are generally very patient with cyclists, waiting behind and giving a very wide berth when they do eventually overtake.

There are a lot of cycling ideas on the tourist office websites:

provence-cycling.co.uk/home/itineraries/itin…

http://eng.veloloisirluberon.com/

There is a bus service between Apt and Avignon, service 15.1:

vaucluse.fr/uploads/Externe/be/LIG_FICHIER_3…

and there may be others via Cavaillon.

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 41
3. Re: Transport from Avignon and getting around Luberon

Hey Diz...don't know why, but those hills are a lot less appealing now than they were 20 years ago! They see so much higher now ... :-)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 11
4. Re: Transport from Avignon and getting around Luberon

French drivers take great car to be considerate to cyclists. I think this is because, in the event of a collision between a cycle and a motor vehicle, the driver of the motor vehicle is assumed to be at fault.

There are indeed many lunatics who take pleasure in cycling up Mont Venteoux.

Edited: 5:43 pm, December 11, 2012
Bedoin, France
reviews: 10
5. Re: Transport from Avignon and getting around Luberon

Where I live, many drivers are not so careful around cyclists. I live in an area that sees massive amounts of cyclists arrive every year. Many who live in this area grow extremely tired of this and vent their frustrations with what I would call road rage.

There are few or no bike lanes and there are accidents every year involving cars and bikes. There is a particular route between Bédoin and Malaucene that is very difficult regarding this issue.

I walk nearly every single day and the beginning of my walk includes about 1 mile on the route du Mt. Ventoux. The near misses that I have seen between car and bike are almost daily. Especially between Easter and September. And those misses have almost always been a result of road rage.

I'm not saying all drivers do this, but I think it only fair to make sure visiting cyclists are as careful a possible.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 11
6. Re: Transport from Avignon and getting around Luberon

My comments were based on what I have seen, but Toutou would have much better knowledge than I of what occurs on a daily basis.

UK
Destination Expert
for Provence
reviews: 76
7. Re: Transport from Avignon and getting around Luberon

You can get a bus from Avignon bus station to Apt see …vaucluse.fr/transvaucluse/…2015_1.xls

Cost is 2 euro

Or if you wanted to cycle it, it's flattish but about 30 miles. I stayed in Hotel l'Aptois in Apt about three years ago and it was very cyclist friendly, if you're interested, they had storage at the back of the hotel for cycles as I remember and people used to wheel them through the reception to get them out.

Hong Kong, China
8. Re: Transport from Avignon and getting around Luberon

Any idea that i can bring my lugguage to bus whentravel from Avignon TGV station to Apt?

Hong Kong, China
9. Re: Transport from Avignon and getting around Luberon

Hi any idea that i can bring my lugguage to bus when travel by bus from Avignon tgv station to Apt?

Reply to: Transport from Avignon and getting around Luberon
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted