We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I reach St Remy from Marseilles on public transport?

Which Avignon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
East Anglia
reviews: 14
Can I reach St Remy from Marseilles on public transport?

I want to visit the region of Provence with my elderly mum next April or May. I don't want to drive so need to base ourselves in a place where we can get transport and day tours if possible to surrounding places. We want to fly into Marseilles and were thinking of staying for 4 nights in Avignon, but after reading this forum I wonder if St Remy would be better for us as mum likes places that are a little more quiet. Does anyone know if you can get a bus or train to St Remy from the airport in Marseilles? Also, can you use tour companys out of St Remy or would we be better to base ourselves in Avignon? Any advice appreciated, thanks!

Kansas City, USA
reviews: 35
1. Re: Can I reach St Remy from Marseilles on public transport?

We spend April in Avignon and find it to be quite a pleasant place to stay. It does get busy around the Easter holiday, but apart from that its been our favorite place to relax.

You can get from Marseilles to Avignon quite easily via train, and there is a bus that runs to St Remy.

I saw this post on my phone, so I don't have access to the exact bus line, but I'm quite certain someone will post it quite soon.

Avignon or St Remy, either way you will love this magical part of France!

Mark

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
reviews: 4
2. Re: Can I reach St Remy from Marseilles on public transport?

Central Avignon is just a small town not unlike many others, particularly if you (and you should) stay within the old city walls. There is a bus from Avignon to St Rémy but, at that time of year, I don´t think that there are many buses from St Rémy to anywhere but Avignon making St Rémy a poor choice as a base, unless you have a car.

This website has all the relevant information about Avignon: hotels, restaurants, and tours:

http://www.ot-avignon.fr/

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 52
3. Re: Can I reach St Remy from Marseilles on public transport?

Avignon would be an OK base. Public transportation in Provence is not set up for touristic travel, rather for French citizens to get back and forth to work and school. In Provence "quiet" usually means small...small means hard to get to (and from) unless you have a car.

Avignon, France
Destination Expert
for Avignon
reviews: 75
4. Re: Can I reach St Remy from Marseilles on public transport?

As Sarastro has mentioned, the old town is small; I imagine if you're staying for just a few days/nights that you'll be staying in hotel. To be extra sure of having peace and quiet, ask for a room away from the street, either over-looking a garden or a courtyard. Many hotels in Avignon have staff who speak English if needed, so you could phone or email to ask for such accommodation. The TO staff also have a good level of English, and any queries are dealt with quickly.

East Anglia
reviews: 14
5. Re: Can I reach St Remy from Marseilles on public transport?

Thanks for all your helpful replies. Your advice has confirmed that it would be best to stay in Avignon after all. Best wishes.

Utrecht, The...
reviews: 66
6. Re: Can I reach St Remy from Marseilles on public transport?

Hotel Le Colbert in Avignon has rooms around a small patio that are very quiet.

Dallas, Texas
reviews: 4
7. Re: Can I reach St Remy from Marseilles on public transport?

Of course you can get from Avignon to St Remy but Avignon Arles is the easiest.

I will suggest that you book a B&B in Avignon then most of the time the hostess will give you excellent advices. I found really a bargain since you will have all trick to do as a Provencal does

I preer to be out off the town since is more authentic. Jardin de Bacchus in Tavel is quite a nice B&Bn English like their mother tongs and they are nice people. Bus to and from Avignon at least 12 times a day for only 1,5€.

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 52
8. Re: Can I reach St Remy from Marseilles on public transport?

Randy...please try and find a way to use "spellcheck", so your post can be understood...

Thanks...

UK
Destination Expert
for Provence
reviews: 82
9. Re: Can I reach St Remy from Marseilles on public transport?

Here's the link for buses between St Remy and Avignon (line 57) and St Remy and Arles (line 54).

The frequency of these buses does not change according to the season. What you have to keep an eye on is school and public holidays, which do make a difference. I've stayed in St Remy many times, relying on public transport and have been able to get to most places I wanted to see, with careful planning.

The only bus from St Remy that is seasonal is the one that goes to Arles via Les Baux and which runs during the summer.

UK
Destination Expert
for Provence
reviews: 82
10. Re: Can I reach St Remy from Marseilles on public transport?

would help if I remembered to put the link in wouldn't it!

www.lepilote.com/horaires_ligne/…