We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avignon - Gare Routiere

Which Avignon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hong Kong, China
reviews: 1
Avignon - Gare Routiere

Hi,I would like to ask about "Avignon - Gare Routiere" is it the same meaning with Gare d'Avignon Centre? I found that there are two stops indicated on the bus schedule of ligne no. 15.1. the first is Avignon - Gare Routiere then the last stop is Avignon - Gare TGV.Thank you.

London, UK
Destination Expert
for Train Travel, Olympics
reviews: 167
1. Re: Avignon - Gare Routiere

The Gare Routiere is the bus station that is next door to Avignon Centre railway station (Gare means station). These are just ouside the old city walls. The Gare TGV is several kilometres south of the city centre.

Pittsburgh, PA
reviews: 28
2. Re: Avignon - Gare Routiere

Gare TGV is 5.4 kilometres from Avignon Centre Gare.

Hong Kong, China
3. Re: Avignon - Gare Routiere

I got it!Thank you rail traveller and grandmere3!

colorado
4. Re: Avignon - Gare Routiere

the gare routiere is near the train station in the town of Avignon, just to the left of it as you look at the train station (gare centrale). Whereas the Gare TGV is about five miles outside of Avignon

Weatherford, Texas
5. Re: Avignon - Gare Routiere

BE ADVISED !!! The GARE ROUTIERE bus station for regional buses - boing to Sant Remy for example - are located UNDER THE HOTEL IBIS - in a covered parking garage --- just left of the Train Station - Central

in Avignon. There is also a bus stop called Gare Routiere - CITY BUS STOP - located just left of the train station out on the street Rue de Republique ---- we were told to go to the CITY BUS STOP --- wrong!!! We

were told this by at least 5 locals ---- WRONG! If in doubt - go the the train station inside and ask a guard

or the information desk ---- we missed 4 buses --- and finally found the GARE ROUTIERE in the covered parking garage - no signs at all !! Only an arrow and name on the sidewalk as you exit the main doors of the train station. Very confusing ---- and the french were really not helpful --- they know the difference between a city bus stop and a regional bus stop ---- if you say Saint Remy ---- they KNOW its a regional bus station --- we missed four busses --- finally found the correct Gare Routiere - and caught LAST bus that evening to Saint Remy. Tough lesson --- why don't the locals help a little more? Kind of sad. (We are American - problably explains it).

UK
6. Re: Avignon - Gare Routiere

<< We are American - problably explains it >>

Probably not. More likely, they were trying to help by pointing out the bus stop that they were aware of. I'd imagine if someone in Avignon wants to go to St Rémy, they get in their car and drive there - they may use local buses even less than the average visitor and know very little about the practicalities of bus routes. It's unfortunate that this happened, as it's disappointing when your holiday gets off to a difficult start, but it was unfortunate, not deliberately malicious.

As a massive culture-stereotypical generalisation, French people will try to help strangers if they are asked, BUT they may not like to admit if they aren't sure of the right answer.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 12
7. Re: Avignon - Gare Routiere

I'm with Diz on this. If someone asked me where to go in Sydney to catch a particular bus service, I would not have the faintest idea. I go everywhere by car.

Calgary, Canada
reviews: 126
8. Re: Avignon - Gare Routiere

You have no idea how helpful that posting was. We're about to do a day trip tomorrow and were checking to clarify our routing from Avignon to St. Remy. Great job! Thanks again.

Bedford...
reviews: 2
9. Re: Avignon - Gare Routiere

The Gare Routiere is the bus station, sort of at the bottom of the Ibis hotel. It is located next door to the Gare Avignon Centre Ville Train Station. Just a note- The Gare Routiere is quite a grim place and does not have a WC. You must go to the Gare Cente Ville just a couple of 100 yards away. The information lady at the train station does not speak one word of english but you can always find someone who does and will help you contrary to what you have heard.

I took the bus from Avignon to St. Remy which is a lovely town and the bus was right on time. Always, hold on to your ticket until you get off the bus. From out of nowhere, like an apparition, a bus collector came around to punch your bus ticket. Well this method does add another job to the roster. I also took the train from Avignon to Arles. 20 minutes and you are there. 10 min walk to town. Easy well marked. Bonne Chance!

UK
Destination Expert
for Provence
reviews: 82
10. Re: Avignon - Gare Routiere

Have to agree with people who say that the locals don't generally know about public transport very much because they hardly use it. This is my experience too, including when asking in tourist information offices. The Gare Routiere is the most unappetising building in Provence IMHO. However being underground it is cool, even on broiling days.