We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

exploring Arles and surrounding area by car

Which Arles hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
reviews: 5
exploring Arles and surrounding area by car

Hello,

We will be in Arles from the 28-31st of May.

Aix-provence, Avignon and Orange are some of the places we are considering visiting.

However, we also want a taste of the countryside. Not just the cities. How would we best accomplish that without breaking the bank?

Should we rent a car to explore the countryside?

Thanks!

provence
Destination Expert
for Provence
reviews: 69
1. Re: exploring Arles and surrounding area by car

A car is a must to get the most out of Provence.

You only have four days and I would certainly include Avignon and Arles but personally I would leave out Orange and very probably Aix in favour of some countryside tours.

I would suggest Pont du Gard near Remoulins to the north of Arles.

If you are staying in Arles perhaps a tour into the Camargue - the Rhone Delta - home to wild bulls, white horses, flamingoes and The Gardians, the original coyboys who look after the bulls.

I would also try and visit the Luberon to the east of Arles with its hilside villages and Chateaux.

Singapore
2. Re: exploring Arles and surrounding area by car

Thanks for the suggestions.

Yes. We intend to make Arles our base for the duration of the trip.

I drive can drive a stick/manual pretty well. But i've only had my licence for less then a year. Are the roads tricky to navigate?

provence
Destination Expert
for Provence
reviews: 69
3. Re: exploring Arles and surrounding area by car

No very easy to drive on.

The larger towns during rush hour are worth avoiding.

Bedford, UK
reviews: 3
4. Re: exploring Arles and surrounding area by car

If you have only had a driving licence for less than a year, you may not be able to rent a car. Most hire companies stipulate that you must have held a licence for over a year. You will need to check this out with the individual hire companies before making any booking.

Singapore
5. Re: exploring Arles and surrounding area by car

great! thanks for the help.

6. Re: exploring Arles and surrounding area by car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:21 am, August 31, 2009