We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Barcelon and Aix en Provence?

Which Aix-en-Provence hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
mt. laurel, nj
reviews: 2
Barcelon and Aix en Provence?

Am looking at a 2 week trip into and out of Barcelona next (late) June. Is Aix/Avignon a feasible destination for one of the weeks? Is train transport viable? How would border crossing work for US citizens (myself, DW, and 2 daughters)? How long a train ride and rough cost estimate?

I have found a decent fare into/out of BCN, roughly $600pp cheaper than Nice/Marseilles.

Any other thoughts/info? Thanks in advance!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 11
1. Re: Barcelon and Aix en Provence?

It is 490 km (300 miles) from Barcelona to Aix-en-Provence, and there are no fast trains along this route. The journey would take the best part of a day in each direction. I think you would do better to concentrate on destinations in Spain. As well as Barcelona, Granada, Seville and Madrid are well worth visiting (to name just three).

There are no border formalities between Spain and France.

South Australia
reviews: 12
2. Re: Barcelon and Aix en Provence?

www.vueling.com fly Barcelona to Marseille book early for cheap airfares.

French trains www.voyages-sncf.com

Vueling also fly Barcelona to Granada and Sevillle

Trains Granada, Seville, Madrid and Barcelona www.renfe.es

You could check for a multi city airticket, fly into Barcelona and out of Madrid.

Tickets for the Alhambra www.granadainfo.com/alhambra

Accommodation www.venere.com

www.franceguide.com

www.spain.info

Destination Expert
for Provence
reviews: 2
3. Re: Barcelon and Aix en Provence?

Since there are four of you, it might be alot cheaper for you to just take a bus or train to Perpignan, and pick up a car there and use it to explore Provence.

Personally, I would use Avignon as a base in Provence, as opposed to Aix.

Antibes, France
4. Re: Barcelon and Aix en Provence?

The train journey to Aix takes 7 to 8 hours - effectively as Nick says a day out of your itinerary. nor - having done Barcelona /Nice - is it an especially inspiring journey ( the good scenery doesn't being till after Marseille) even apart from a numbing 3 + changes.

If you feel you have to do the South of France on this trip ( ..and who wouldn't?) seriously consider a cheap budget airline like Easyjet Barcelona- Marseille or Nice.

Ed

Houston, Tx
reviews: 26
5. Re: Barcelon and Aix en Provence?

We found that budget airline is less expensive than train if book early. You can fly from BCN to Marseille and rent car to explore provence. Few weeks ago, we flew from BCN to Nice with easyjet at 32 euro total pp.

Canada
reviews: 5
6. Re: Barcelon and Aix en Provence?

Was there no option to travel overnight so you dont waste a full day in transit? By that I mean a mode other than air travel...

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 41
7. Re: Barcelon and Aix en Provence?

MIke...it is a one hour flight. Flying is the most efficient way to travel. THe train is an arduous trip. You need to change from a Spanish train to a French train at / near the border.

8. Re: Barcelon and Aix en Provence?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 am, January 07, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Aix-en-Provence