We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cruise stop in Provence in late Nov.

Which Aix-en-Provence hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vero Beach, Florida
Cruise stop in Provence in late Nov.

Please, any advise helpfull--we will be making a cruise stop late Nov. in Provence and need to choose a day trip?? Aix or St Tropez or, Cassis,or Sanary & Castellct combined. We have been to Nice, Cannes, etc on other trips, and enjoyed each. Being in Nov. concerns us--any help appreciated. Thanks

Finland
reviews: 141
1. Re: Cruise stop in Provence in late Nov.

November weather can be the negative aspect, so prepare for this. In case you have a waterproof shell, you're ok even in some rain. A day in November can also be beautiful, which would really bring quality to your day trip.

In case your port is Marseille, Aix is just some 1 hour away (the actual travel time is 30 minutes by the express bus running at least twice an hour). In case of less good weather, you could stay at Marseille and have a look at some places there.

In case your port is Toulon or La Seyne sur Mer, it is easier to access Sanary or Le Castellet; Cassis is a bit further but doable. In practice, you need a car for each of these locations.

I would not even think about the very off-season St Tropez in November and the drive there from either Marseille or Toulon takes time.

In case the port is Toulon/La Seyne, a good alternative is the nearby town of Hyeres (east of Toulon) where you get by local train from Toulon station. Also staying in Toulon itself may be rewarding, with a possible trip to the south side of the bay by the waterbus line from either La Seyne or Toulon. The bay area is worth this waterbus ride I think.

It's a bit funny if the cruise line names any harbor "Provence" without mentioning the actual place where the boat moors or anchors. I've seen at least RCCL moored at port of La Seyne on several Sundays in summer time.

Vero Beach, Florida
2. Re: Cruise stop in Provence in late Nov.

Thanks for reply-sorry, my fault I did not mention the port is Toulon. The tours the ship offers, with their transportation, are to St Tropez (tour of area and lunch) OR Aix, OR Cassis, OR Sanary and Castellet--all seeing local atractions. We have been also to Marseille, we can only choose one spot on this trip---so wondering which place offers us the most--beauty of the town and local food to enjoy. Thank you for your help again. Two from Florida!!

Finland
reviews: 141
3. Re: Cruise stop in Provence in late Nov.

For food especially, I would perhaps choose Aix, as it is the only place of your list with a good deal of "real life" around the year.

Some suggestions by our French amis:

lafourchette.com/1_restaurant/…

Sanary and Le Castellet will be a good tourism package: A seaside resort with a nice leisure port with beautiful heritage boats etc. and the medieval Le Castellet on a hilltop, very picturesque and cozy. Hope the weather is great, as on a rainy day they both would become much less feast to the eye.

So far and unfortunately, we have not found a very good restaurant in Sanary, but instead menu boards at a few places at Le Castellet looked surprisingly promising - we have never visited Le Castellet at lunch or dinner time, though.

Vero Beach, Florida
4. Re: Cruise stop in Provence in late Nov.

Thank you again, I received your information and have been doing a little more checking-I saw AIX is listed in the book "1000 Places to See Before You Die" with some very nice comments. I think we will take your recommendation at make plans to visit AIX as a ships tour. It is a few hours tour, giving us time left to visit the port city of Toulon, before sail away.. We have time for lunch in AIX, so I will look into the restaurant you recommended. Now I must make decisions on Cartagena, Spain , first time visiting, and Maderia (Funchal), Portugal, which we have visited a few times. Your help has been greatly appreciated!

5. Re: Cruise stop in Provence in late Nov.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, August 16, 2013