We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

auto europe

Which Provence hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Everett...
reviews: 18
auto europe

BEWARE:

Rented a car for 6 days, great price. when I got home found charges on my credit card for all sorts of fees, totaling over $125. I guess that was acceptable for road taxes, delivery charges and pre-paid gas. The kicker here was for damages, damages I said when speaking to the co. What damages? They charged me $220 to clean the car.. A car wash for $220. That's what happens when you give them access to your credit card. I am fighting it, but who knows. Now I'm just waiting for those mysterious speeding tickets I hear about. BEWARE

Portland, Oregon
reviews: 30
1. Re: auto europe

If this is the same Auto europe we've used it's a broker that deals with a variety of rental companies so it sounds like your issue is with the actual car rental company. Who was that and where were the pickup and return points? Regarding those "fees", the per-gallon refill charge by all rental companies is incredibly steep (the polite term) and could easily account for most of that cost. If you returned the vehicle with a full tank and have a receipt you can probably get that charge removed.

As to the "cleaning" charge, it sounds like far more than just a simple wash job which, along with basic interior cleaning is never an added charge. Was anything spilled on the carpets or upholstery or did anyone smoke in the car at any time? Unfortunately a lot of this type of "damage" is overlooked by the renter when a vehicle is picked up and, with no paper trail, it's just a matter of time before another customer gets the tab. When you returned the car and watched them do the check-in assessment, was any of this noted on the signed form you were provided? And finally, have you disputed this charge with your credit card company - they can be your best friend in these situations.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
reviews: 4
2. Re: auto europe

IF you rented a car through Auto Europe, you did not receive any charges from them when you returned home. All payments to Auto Europe are made in full before you pickup a rental. Beyond that, determining what other creative license you may have taken in your narrative would be necessary to be able to fully understand what really happened.

3. Re: auto europe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:05 am, November 02, 2013
Vancouver, BC
reviews: 78
4. Re: auto europe

We seem to get these complaints about Auto Europe when, if a screw up at all, is the action of the rental car company which is not mentionned.

It also always seems to be someone who has not posted previously at all or very little.

And as usual, read your contract and don't complain about someone else if you didn't!

Everett...
reviews: 18
5. Re: auto europe

ok here we go. Rented from auto europe before traveling and paid in full. Picked up car in Provence and was told nothing about excess charges, pickup at train sta. some kind of local road taxes, and my pre-paid gas return charges, you know when you prepay your gas upon return. Now these are just some of the charges that amounted to about $125 more or less.

Now the kicker. the remaining charges over $200 was for damages, and when questioned I was told they had to look at the report. When then rep came back on she informed me it was for cleaning the car. Now, to be clear, without creative license, We were in Provence, during harvest season, with one day of rain, yes the inside of the car may have gotten a LITTLE muddy but not to excess, maybe if they had provided mats, ha. No one smoked, no one got sick and there was no trash left in the car. So until I have a full written report I only have the word of the rep from Auto Europe, and yes vancouver I do know who I rented from, and I do know they are just a broker with many, this instance was with Europe Car.

So to my friends in paris, and vancouver, was the creative enough for you, and pal i'm hardley a new one, DH

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 11
6. Re: auto europe

In other words, your problem is with Europcar and not with AutoEurope.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
7. Re: auto europe

Ok, Why all of the mystery? You rented from Europcar and Europcar charged you the end of the rental.

Take a look at the pickup voucher you received from Auto Europe. On the bottom right of page 1 you will see the heading "Your rental excludes". Auto Europe is very clear about what expenses are payable a drop off. Either you knew or should have known about the $125 well in advance; probably the road tax, a location surcharge, and maybe an environmental fee for requesting a car with automatic transmission. These are typical charges of which you are probably already familiar.

The unusual element is a cleaning charge for probably somewhere near 150€. Europcar charged you this for cleaning the mud from the car. In spite of your Auto europe post heading, AE had absolutely noting to do with this charge.

It is your attempt to mislead and unfairly accuse AE that others, including myself, find objectionable. If you have a legitimate complaint, there are those among us who may offer suggestions to help you. You should consider reposting your experience giving an accurate and fair account of you dissatisfaction.

Paris, France
reviews: 158
8. Re: auto europe

Every time I've rented a car in France through Auto Europe, the car was provided by one of the 'major' companies, like Europcar, Avis, etc, because Auto Europe is only a broker. Never had any problem with them, but sometimes with the car rental company (2 times an undue gas surcharge) and Auto Europe even helped me solved the issues.

9. Re: auto europe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:05 am, November 02, 2013
Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Dordogne
10. Re: auto europe

Sorry, meant the gripe is with EuropCar.