We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Notre Dame de Cougnes

Which La Rochelle hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle, Washington
reviews: 5
Notre Dame de Cougnes

I will be returning to La Rochelle next month. This is the place my ancestor left for "new France" Quebec in the 17th century. There are documents that tell much about the Trudeau (Truteau/Trutault) family during these times. I have been to Notre Dame on Rue Alcide d'Orbigny, which is said to be the church the family belonged to.

When we were there last time, it was a holiday and the church was locked. I am wondering if there are still services held here and how to get more information about this church and its history. So far I have learned it was originally build in 1077 then destroyed in 1568 during the religious upheaval. From what I understand, it was rebuilt in the mid 17th century.

I also read that the cemetery was removed (for a parking lot?) and remains moved to Saint Eloi cemetery in La Rochelle. How would I learn if there are marked graves from any of my ancestors?

Any information will be greatly appreciated!

Le Bugue, France
Destination Expert
for Dordogne
reviews: 4
1. Re: Notre Dame de Cougnes

The church has a website, and there's a wealth of information if you just google.

For gravestone information, I'd either find a website for the cemetery or write to the mayor's office.

Seattle, Washington
2. Re: Notre Dame de Cougnes

I did find one website with lots of great photos, but no information as to whether this parish is still active or not.

Le Bugue, France
Destination Expert
for Dordogne
reviews: 4
3. Re: Notre Dame de Cougnes

As this website shows, it appears to be very active. And there's a phone number and an email:

www.paroisse-larochellecentre.fr/index.php…

Seattle, Washington
4. Re: Notre Dame de Cougnes

Thank you very much StCirq. This is what I was looking for.

I did a lot of searches on google but did not see this one.

I appreciate the link. Merci.

5. Re: Notre Dame de Cougnes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, April 13, 2015