We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HI Hostel at Minimes

Which La Rochelle hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin
reviews: 2
HI Hostel at Minimes

Hi can anyone tell me what the hostel is like to stay in? Is there much to do in the area? Im an older traveller so dont want to be surrounded by loud teenagers! How far from La Rochelle is it walking or by taxi/bus? Thanks!!

La Rochelle
Destination Expert
for La Rochelle
reviews: 7
1. Re: HI Hostel at Minimes

Hi, sorry dont know the HI Hostel, but I do know Les Minimes. 30 mins walking distance from the beach at Minimes to La Rochelle vieux port, through either the boatyards, or via the sea front, both lovely walks, or you could use the sea taxi or bus. Bus journeys take 15 mins depending on stops and cost 1.30 each way. The beach at Minimes is guarded, the area is suitable for families and older travellers, there will be groups of teenagers but you will find french teenagers are quieter than british ones! There is a nightclub by the beach but its the only one as far as I know. The nearest attractions to you will be the Aquarium, and the Maritime Museum but there are many more further into La Rochelle.

Dublin
2. Re: HI Hostel at Minimes

Thank you so much for your response. For some reason there's no info on that hostel, yet it exists! Weird. Anyway Im glad to hear I wont be isolated as it seems relatively easy enough to get in and out to La Rochelle - I assume thats where most of the restaurants/shops/attractions are etc? Or does Minimes have its own vibe going on? any hints or suggestions for my trip while Im there - will be staying for one week. Also plan to spend a day or two on Il de Re. Many thanks for your help.

Dublin
3. Re: HI Hostel at Minimes

Hi would you mind terribly finding out if the hostel actually exists please?? Its supposed to be on Avenue des Minimes, BP 3045, La Rochelle. Im slightly confused as to why you wouldnt know it as you sound like you know the area well - hope Im on the right track. Sincere thanks

La Rochelle
Destination Expert
for La Rochelle
4. Re: HI Hostel at Minimes

Yep most of the attractions are in La Rochelle, Minimes is mainly holiday flats and has a few restaurants/bars, a couple of beachwear shops, pleasure port and thats about it. The only hostel I know of in town and on avenue de minimes is the Auberge de Jeunese (youth hostel). Its actually nearer to La Rochelle than Minimes beach. Website is below which is available in english

www.fuaj.net/homepage/larochelle/index.htm

La Rochelle
Destination Expert
for La Rochelle
5. Re: HI Hostel at Minimes

HI hostel appears to be the youth hostel

hihostels.com/dba/hostels-La-Rochelle-020106…

whilst I know the area very well, hostels and campsite are something I have limited knowledge of especially if I only know it by its french name!

Edited: 8:17 am, May 25, 2010
Welwyn Garden City...
6. Re: HI Hostel at Minimes

Hi Sandie

HI Hostel La Rochelle has 86% ratings on www.hihostels.com - people generally have good things to say about the hostel. As filouLaRochelle has said - the hostel is near the beach and it's a 30 minute walk to the centre.

Something worth noting is that you need membership to stay in all of HI's french hostels. This can be bought at the hostel - there's an offer from now until September with membership being sold for 7 Euros instead the usual 15 Euros.

You can also join HI through your National Youth Hostel Association www.irelandyha.org (if you've been a resident for over a year). If you plan to travel this can be handy as this affiliates you with the NYHA and you can get further discounts for attractions in your country.

Hope this helps!

Ros

HI Hostels

Dublin
7. Re: HI Hostel at Minimes

Thanks so much for your help - think I'll stay there and hope for the best :)

Welwyn Garden City...
8. Re: HI Hostel at Minimes

No worries Sandie. Have a great trip :)

9. Re: HI Hostel at Minimes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, November 25, 2010