We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

l'Ecole Nationale d'Equitation Cadre Noir

Which Saumur hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Perthshire, UK
reviews: 24
l'Ecole Nationale d'Equitation Cadre Noir

Has anyone visited this attraction and can give a review? We are planning a visit to see one of the galas with two 10 year old girls who love horses. Is the tour worth going on too? I've looked at the website and it looks very interesting, although I'm relying on translation as the English version is limited.

We'll have about a 90 minute trip from our base near Tours, so want to make sure it's worth the travel.

Going mid-July.

Thanks!

Alencon, France
reviews: 23
1. Re: l'Ecole Nationale d'Equitation Cadre Noir

Never been there but there's a review of it here:

thetraveleditor.com/article/3713/Things_to_d…

Phil

Perthshire, UK
2. Re: l'Ecole Nationale d'Equitation Cadre Noir

Thanks

Essex
3. Re: l'Ecole Nationale d'Equitation Cadre Noir

We visited the centre in April it was very good,the guided tour was in French but you had an english paper translation. Your 10 year old's will love it as there are plenty of horses.

The Gala's are certainly worth the visit they are top event's, we went to the international voltage event in April your girls would have loved it. There is also the museum in Saumur entry is free, and also the magnificent Chatuea to visit they also have an exibition. Saumur is the home of the Cadre Noir. The drive from Tours to Saumur is in itself worth the trip especially if you take the road alonside the river. Have a lovely trip it is worth it,

regards Irene

Perthshire, UK
4. Re: l'Ecole Nationale d'Equitation Cadre Noir

Thanks for your note - we'll definitely add it to our plans.

J

Troon, Scotland
reviews: 30
5. Re: l'Ecole Nationale d'Equitation Cadre Noir

We are in about to go to Saumur this weekend and a local has recommended this tour. Well worth seeing and extremely interesting. I'll post a further note once we've been.

Alencon, France
reviews: 23
6. Re: l'Ecole Nationale d'Equitation Cadre Noir

On a related note if you're into things horsey, the Haras du Pin near Sées (Orne department) has a spectacular display and visits throughout the year.

www.haras-national-du-pin.com/index.php?L=3

Apart from the horses etc it's a spectacular setting - this one I DO know about as I've been there!

Phil

Perthshire, UK
7. Re: l'Ecole Nationale d'Equitation Cadre Noir

Thanks - look forward to your post after your visit.

I've just booked tickets for the gala show in July by email correspondence and they arrived very quickly by post yesterday. Looking forward to this and hope your report supports this!

Thanks

J

Rogerstone
reviews: 86
8. Re: l'Ecole Nationale d'Equitation Cadre Noir

We are visiting the area in about 10 days time so any comments or suggestions will be gratefully received!

England
reviews: 11
9. Re: l'Ecole Nationale d'Equitation Cadre Noir

My reply is a bit late for the OP - we went to the same Gala event in July - and for Sybil. Sorry, don't always have time to track TA, but maybe others will find this useful.

We've been to see the Cadre Noir twice now. My wife is a horse nut and I just tag along, so this is written from my perspective, not hers.

We first visited during the Musical Gala evenings in September 2008 (there's one this year in October). We arrived early in the afternoon to make sure we could find it, and also took the tour of the stables at the same time.

The stables are interesting, because it is quite a big, well organised, operation - even mechanised mucking out, showers (for the horses) - and of course you get to see the saddle room and lots of horses in their stables. If you want to see examples of Selle Français (SF is the shorthand for this breed), this is the place to get up close.

They only do the stable tours in French - which I speak very well - so unless you fall into that category or you have an inkling about what they are talking about, you might find it a bit bewildering.

Now to the main event. The Gala evenings are fantastic - better than the Spanish Riding School IMHO. It's not so crowded, you get proper seats in the presentation hall (there's no standing in the galleries) and it's not run primarily as a tourist attraction. It is about horsemanship; these professional riders really want a chance to show off their horses and what they can do with them.

Les Musicales du Cadre Noir is the better of the two events we've been to. The later performance time and the presence of a live orchestra really made the evening special. But we enjoyed it so much we went back this year to see Les Estivales du Cadre Noir, which is basically the same performance, but without the live music. Still worth a visit; both are expensive.

L'Ecole Nationale d'Equitation is conveniently located for visiting Saumur, and you will have time to fit in a trip to one of the sparkling wine cellars in St Hilaire-St Florent, just down the road.

Royal Tunbridge...
reviews: 131
10. Re: l'Ecole Nationale d'Equitation Cadre Noir

If you haven't booked an hotel try Logis de France's Les Terasses about half a mile away. Excellent rooms, friendly welcome, fabulous views across Saumur. A restaurant par excellence. All in all a great find.