We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public Transport so bad?

Which Loire Valley hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Birmingham, Michigan
reviews: 31
Public Transport so bad?

Hi,

I'll be arriving at Tours end of March on my own, though would probably stay at Loches. I will be in the area a week, and really want to take it easy. My initial thoughts were to rent a bike, but I haven't ridden in years, and there are sure to be slopes and I somehow dont relish the thought of hauling a bike on my own, especially when it might rain.

But I love the idea of just taking in the smaller villages, walking around in the hopefully warm sunshine. Something that I would not be able to do on a guided castle tour.

But all through the forum, I have seen recommendations for hiring a car. So, the Big Question.

Are there any kinds of public transport between villages? How infrequent? What is the last bus/lunch break/ weekend break etc?

Many thanks.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 11
1. Re: Public Transport so bad?

Public transport in this area is sparse, and mostly timed to meet the needs of local residents and school-children rather than tourists. For example, Loches and Tours are both quite important, but between 9 am and 5.30 pm there are only 4 trains (actually coaches operated by SNCF) from Loches to Tours. Smaller villages may have only a few services a week, or none at all.

You really need a car.

Birmingham, Michigan
reviews: 31
2. Re: Public Transport so bad?

Thank you for your response.

Given that I will be traveling alone, a car would be hugely expensive, and also a bit of a liability in terms of stress. Are there any other options about seeing the area?

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
reviews: 4
3. Re: Public Transport so bad?

With no car and traveling alone, the only place you should even consider staying is in Tours. Only Tours has public transportation and tour options appropriate for those walking. There might not be a great deal of warm sunshine during the month of March and you are correct in assuming that inclement weather during that time might make cycling impractical.

There are many good hotels at all price ranges in and around Old Tours or roughly that area between the Train Station (Tours Centre) and Place Plumereau.

UK
4. Re: Public Transport so bad?

The local bus network is shown on http://www.tourainefilvert.com/ and timetables can be downloaded there too, so you can check out what is viable. Train times are on the SNCF website.

You really need to stay somewhere central to routes you might use - as Saratro says (and he knows the area much better than I do), the logical place is central Tours.

Edited: 9:20 am, February 07, 2013
5. Re: Public Transport so bad?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 09, 2014