We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rail fare from Paris to Le mans

Which Le Mans hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Rome
reviews: 1
Rail fare from Paris to Le mans

I am reading a book on Medieaval England and mentions Le Mans and Angers relating to the Life of Henry 1,and would like to visit the area,could you please recommend how I would achieve this economically as I am a pensioner.

Thank You

bluecap

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 11
1. Re: Rail fare from Paris to Le mans

The cost varies according to how far ahead you book. The walk-up price is €42 but if you buy 3 months before travel you can get a ticket for €15. See en.voyages-sncf.com/en

Rome
2. Re: Rail fare from Paris to Le mans

Hi Thank you,please could you recommend a suitable B&B accomodation to take in Le Mans and Angers in order to take in the historical places of interst in the area.

Thanks,

bluecap

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
3. Re: Rail fare from Paris to Le mans

Sorry, but I know about trains, not hotels. I suggest you start a new thread with a relevant title.

Rome
4. Re: Rail fare from Paris to Le mans

Hi There,many thanks for your response,I think the best way to do this is to travel from London to Le Mans,

is there a direct link from Gard de Nord to Le Mans,what sort of cost would be for return fare.

Thanks

bluecap.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
5. Re: Rail fare from Paris to Le mans

Use the link provided in reply #1. You can look up this information just as easily as I could.

London, UK
Destination Expert
for Train Travel, Olympics
reviews: 163
6. Re: Rail fare from Paris to Le mans

IWhen travelling from London, it may be easier to change from the Eurostar at Lille Europe and catch a train from there to Le Mans - it may take a little longer but saves having to transfer between stations in Paris. You can book a through journey from Eurostar on www.eurostar.co.uk

There are two means of getting reduced prices on French rail travel if you are over 60. The first is to buy an annual Carte Senior. This really only works out worthwhile if you are doing quite a lot of travel iover 12 months which is presumably not your situation.. The second is to make use of Senior Decouverte tickets which give a discount of, I think, 25%. These are available on Intercities and local TER trains, such as most of those than run between Le Mans and Angers, in "off-peak" periods. What counts as off peak or Periode Bleu, is a bit complicated but for most of the year on Monday to Thursday it covers trains leaving after 8.00 and not between 17.00 and 8.30, On Fridays and Sundays the peak period includes most of the afternoon and eening and on Saturdays it is off peak all day. This gets changed around holiday periods. This sounds more complex than it actually is and there are posters giving the Calendrier of blue and white periods displayed at stations.

The central area of Le Mans has a well preserved medieval network of roads in the area around the cathedral and was where Richard 1st's unfortunate queen ended her life. Angers castle iis enormous with gigantic outer walls and towers. Sorry I cannot help with hotel recommendations.

Rome
7. Re: Rail fare from Paris to Le mans

Thanks for your reply,do I wait till I get to France for the second option or can I purchase tickets at a concession from UK for Eurostar.

Thanks

BLUECAP

London, UK
Destination Expert
for Train Travel, Olympics
reviews: 163
8. Re: Rail fare from Paris to Le mans

For th sort of journeys for which a Decouvert Senior rate is available there is no point in booking other than on the spot - indeed I am not sure if it is possible. I have always used the ticket office or a machine at the station.

9. Re: Rail fare from Paris to Le mans

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:20 am, August 22, 2014