We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Le Havre: getting to Rouen?

Which Le Havre hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Worcester, MA
Destination Expert
for Dordogne
reviews: 57
Le Havre: getting to Rouen?

We'll be taking a cruise in the fall and stopping at LeHavre - Is it possible to get a train or bus from there to Rouen? How long a trip is it? shoud we opt for a car rental instead/

Thanks

jhgrady

24 replies to this topic
Bayeux, France
Destination Expert
for Bayeux, Basse-Normandie, Mont-St-Michel, Caen
reviews: 15
11. Re: Le Havre: getting to Rouen?

The cruise excursions are usually either a half day to Rouen or a whole day Giverny and Rouen.

Cardiff, United...
reviews: 13
12. Re: Le Havre: getting to Rouen?

I'm looking for a Tuesday and can't see a train leaving Le Havre to Rouen between 0903 and 1224. There are similar long gaps for the return journey.

The TGV site now links to the main SNCF site, which I've tried, along with Loco2, Capitaine and raileurope. Are there other trains which don't show on these sites, and is there another site I've missed?

Rouen seems ideal for a self-organised day trip from a cruise, if there are suitable trains.

Also, how far is Le Havre's rail station from the cruise terminal? Is a taxi necessary?

Thanks.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 12
13. Re: Le Havre: getting to Rouen?

What date are you looking at?

Cardiff, United...
14. Re: Le Havre: getting to Rouen?

Tuesday 20 May, thanks.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 12
15. Re: Le Havre: getting to Rouen?

SNCF is having track works in a number of parts of Normandy during May. The missing trains may or may not be added back into the timetable when the details of the track work have been decided.

Cardiff, United...
16. Re: Le Havre: getting to Rouen?

Thanks very much - that explains the gaps in the timetable. Here's hoping there'll be more closer to the time.

Paris, France
reviews: 4
17. Re: Le Havre: getting to Rouen?

A lot of the schedules right now for May and June say "Non Ouvert" where normally you would see the price and I believe this means the tickets haven't gone on sale yet so keep checking back. You can find info about the scheduled track works by checking the ter-sncf sites for Upper and Lower Normandy:

ter-sncf.com/regions/…Default.aspx

ter-sncf.com/Regions/…Default.aspx

Cardiff, United...
18. Re: Le Havre: getting to Rouen?

Thanks very much for the link to the track works. According to that, the work should be over by the time I get there.

I did check several sites and there are trains listed, just none between 9am and noon. I wonder if some local trains aren't posted this far in advance.

If this doesn't work out, the ship's excursion to Rouen is 49 euros for a five hour trip.

Paris, France
reviews: 4
19. Re: Le Havre: getting to Rouen?

Keep checking back. The SNCF site is doing strange things right now. Just a second ago I saw all the times and prices for May 20th between 9AM and noon and now they have disappeared, except for a 9:03 and 12:32 train, so I imagine they're going to show up soon. The price is showing as 15.60€ one way so 49€ for a ship excursion isn't such a bad deal and you'll be guaranteed not to miss the ship if you do the ship's excursion.

Cardiff, United...
20. Re: Le Havre: getting to Rouen?

Thanks, I'll check again closer to time. If the fare is around 30 + taxi to station, the saving isn't huge. As you say, with a tour the ship doesn't sail without you & you get a guide. It's the shuffling along in crowds I'd prefer to avoid. We'll see.

Reply to: Le Havre: getting to Rouen?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted