We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Normandy D-Day visit

Which Honfleur hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Jackson, New Jersey
reviews: 102
Normandy D-Day visit

Is it possible to arrive by cruise ship and do it yourself tour of D-day sights? Hire a cab? Or join a small group? We are arriving 11 August 2011 on the Marina. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Bill & Jeannie

Louisville, KY
Destination Expert
for French Riviera - Cote d'Azur
reviews: 26
1. Re: Normandy D-Day visit

I would get a group of fellow passengers together and hire a private guide who can meet you at the port. I wouldn't risk driving on your own, getting lost or underestimating how long it takes to get from one place to another. A professional guide will know all this, and with a guide, you will see more, learn more, and have a better perspective on the Day operation.

Guide fees are usually set per day, not by the number of passengers. Sometimes, the traveler needs to rent a car, but this can be arranged after you've contacted a guide. If you are not traveling with a group, I would think that finding others to take this trip would not be a problem. Decide if you can live with the fee if you get stuck touring on your own and feel lucky if others want to fill the extra seats. Just determine in advance how many passengers will fit in vehicle. Most of the group tours leave early in the morning, often from Bayeux, and I'm not aware of any group tours from Honfleur.

Here is a link to some guide websites. The first page has the best info. From there, well, you can see for yourself! Someone had a a personal ax to grind, but I did learn that licensing is different for private and group guides!

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187179-i607-k4194…

Cpmac, a Bayeux Destination Expert, offers similar advice on this post:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187179-i607-k4301…

I can't imagine being in this part of the world and not visiting the D Day sites. You'll be able to make this work! Visiting these sites has truly been one of our most memorable travel experiences.

Have a great trip!

Ohio, USA
reviews: 4
2. Re: Normandy D-Day visit

Which port? Cherbourg? Le Havre? Somewhere else?

Louisville, KY
Destination Expert
for French Riviera - Cote d'Azur
reviews: 26
3. Re: Normandy D-Day visit

As this is the Honfleur forum, I was thinking the port was was Honfleur, but maybe not.

Jackson, New Jersey
4. Re: Normandy D-Day visit

We arrive in Honfleur early morning 11 August. We announced our intention to get a group on Cruise Critic roll call for this cruise. Maybe we are a bit impatient. It is the first day out on this cruise. We have two quotes one for 650 euros and one for 800 euros for up to eight people.

Bayeux, France
Destination Expert
for Bayeux, Basse-Normandie, Mont-St-Michel, Caen
reviews: 12
5. Re: Normandy D-Day visit

650 is a reasonable quote for a private minibus tour.

Jackson, New Jersey
6. Re: Normandy D-Day visit

Thank you

Essex
reviews: 71
7. Re: Normandy D-Day visit

How much time EXACTLY is your ship docked for??

You can get to the D Day beach area from Honfleur, but it is not exactly close. It would involve a road journey of at least an hour to where the 'beach' zone starts at Ouistreham (and the Brits Sword beach). Omaha and Utah are at the far end around Grandcamp Maisy and St Mere Eglise, which will take you at least 1.5 hours of driving, even if you take the autoroutes for the quickest journey.

So, you do need a good amount of time to make it, with at least 3 hours on the road (round trip) to reach the area which I am guessing is going to be your goal.

NOT saying don't do it, BUT I am saying be realistic about the distances and time involved. Your time in port is going to be the most major determining factor here.

Like troggs, I do reckon you can do it, but you do need to have a contingency plan. What if the roads are 'stacked' with traffic and you don't get back to your ship in time - will you be able to cope with that - how will you finance joining up with it again at the next port of call??

Drat, I seem to be being a bit more negative here than I mean to - it's a great area and you will enjoy it, just 'be prepared' is all I am trying to say, really!!

8. Re: Normandy D-Day visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, May 18, 2012