We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting around Honfleur and Bayeux on public transportation

Which Honfleur hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Jose, California
reviews: 7
Getting around Honfleur and Bayeux on public transportation

We will be ending a river trip somewhere near Honfleur in June. I want to see the Bayeux tapestries . We want to stay in either Honfleur or Bayeux for 2or 3 nights and then take the train to Paris. We need advice on Public transportation, a hotel recommendation and other things to see in the area. Thank you

Tampa, Florida
1. Re: Getting around Honfleur and Bayeux on public transportation

It's a very rural area, best seen in your own rental car. Driving in France is easy -- especially if you have a good map and a GPS unit with France maps.

It would be very easy -- and a wonderful way to see Normandy -- to rent a car for three days, wandering your way from Honfleur to Bayeux, then turn the car in and catch your train to Paris.

It's one of my favorite areas of France...get a guidebook, and enjoy spending a few days soaking in this wonderful place.

San Jose, California
2. Re: Getting around Honfleur and Bayeux on public transportation

We really, really, really don't want to drive. Is there a bus between Honflour and Bayeux? Any hotel suggestions?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 11
3. Re: Getting around Honfleur and Bayeux on public transportation

Driving in rural France is no more difficult than driving in rural USA. I have done both, and I normally drive on the other side of the road. It really is much the best way of getting around in Normandy.

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 42
4. Re: Getting around Honfleur and Bayeux on public transportation

I don't know if this helps. However, here is a thread on which some information was given earlier this year -

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187181-i947-k1314…

Here is the website for the bus system -

http://www.busverts.fr/_hiver

Here is the wikipedia entry for the bus verts system -

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bus_Verts_du_Calvados

It seems that you can travel by bus. It just takes a lot of planning (and probably some luck in making connections).

Hopefully someone will be along who has done the trip and can provide first-hand experience. (I was only following the question myself because at one point we thought we might like to do a similar trip while in Paris this coming spring. However, in the end, we decided to spend our time in Paris and leave Honfleur/Bayeux to another trip - I hope!)

Bayeux, France
Destination Expert
for Bayeux, Basse-Normandie, Mont-St-Michel, Caen
reviews: 10
5. Re: Getting around Honfleur and Bayeux on public transportation

It's POSSIBLE to get from Honfleur to Bayeux on public transport (bus vert) but then you are stuck unless you want to spend most of the days waiting for the few buses that go around.

You can do a d-day mini bus tour from Bayeux or take a driver guide. For other visits you'll need a driver guide, or taxi who won't neccessarily speak English.

Tampa, Florida
6. Re: Getting around Honfleur and Bayeux on public transportation

It is, of course, possible to do it via trains and buses. Recommended? Absolutely not. It's a very rural area, and buses and scheduled for those who live and work in the area...not for tourists.

It really, truly isn't difficult to drive in France...if you don't drive, hire a private driver or take an accompanied tour (also not recommended)...they are much better options.

London, UK
Destination Expert
for Train Travel, Olympics
reviews: 154
7. Re: Getting around Honfleur and Bayeux on public transportation

You have been given the Bus Vert website and you will find that they run a service between Le Havre and Caen that has a stop in Honfleur. The bus station at Caen is next door to the railway station so you can continue on to Bayeux either by bus or train (the latter takes about 20 minutes. Personally I would stay in Caen which is the public transport hub for the area and also more direct trains back to Paris than Bayeux.

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 42
8. Re: Getting around Honfleur and Bayeux on public transportation

Re your question about hotels, here are the TA hotel review sites that will give you a starting point:

1. for Bayeux -

tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g187181-Bayeux_Basse_…

2. for Honfleur -

tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g187189-Honfleur_Bass…

3. for Caen -

tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g187182-Caen_Basse_No…

I find the reviews very helpful in trip planning. However, I tend to look for trends, rather than focus on any particular review.

San Jose, California
9. Re: Getting around Honfleur and Bayeux on public transportation

Thanks to all for the bus info for Honfleur. I think we'll rethink our plans.

Le Mans, France
reviews: 21
10. Re: Getting around Honfleur and Bayeux on public transportation

The buses aren't that difficult to master, though some basic French will help when it comes to asking directions and buying tickets.

Details of Normandy bus services and how to use them can be found, in English, here:

…wordpress.com/2009/…

The Bus Vert "Carte Liberté" costs 12.90€ for a day and gives unlimited use of their buses in the area where you will be staying..

Edited: 7:12 am, December 06, 2009