We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train or car from Paris to Normandy

Which Caen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
2 posts
Train or car from Paris to Normandy

I will be spending some time in France in June with my 15-year-old daughter. We will spend a week in Paris then plan to visit Bayeux and Mont St Michel over a period of 4 days, returing to Paris. What is the best and most economical way for two females to travel around Normandy? Train or car? I have considered hiring a car from CDG, or taking a train to Caen then hiring a car to go to Bayeux and Mont St Michel, driving back to Paris CDG, but just not sure which is the best option. Any advice gratefully received.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
67,163 posts
12 reviews
1. Re: Train or car from Paris to Normandy

A train will take you from Paris Gare St-Lazare to Caen in around 2 hours, with prices starting at €15 per person booked in advance, or €35.80 walk-up. A car would take around 2h45 of driving (plus stops) at a cost of €23.20 in tolls and around €27 in fuel.

If you are interested in seeing other parts of Normandy as well as the small area near the invasion beaches, a car could be worthwhile. Otherwise, take a train from Paris to Caen and back, and pick up and return the rental car at Caen.

Level Contributor
3,994 posts
549 reviews
2. Re: Train or car from Paris to Normandy

I have used both methods to get from Paris to Normandy and highly recommend that you take a train to either Caen or Bayeux and rent a car from there. Taking the train was MUCH easier and less stressful. You can rent a car in either Bayeux or Caen. Caen has more cars to choose from and the rental car offices are across the street from the train station (but then you have to drive about 20 miles to Bayeux). Dropping off your car in Caen is easy - again the rental car agencies are across the street from the train station.

Driving from Bayeux to Mont St Michel is easy (especially with a GPS). Make sure you get a GPS but don’t forget to look at a map before you take off to make sure you get on the freeway at the start of the trip(sometimes the GPS will send you on the back roads for some reason).

Melbourne, Australia
2 posts
3. Re: Train or car from Paris to Normandy

Thanks for this. The cost estimates are very helpful, too.

4. Re: Train or car from Paris to Normandy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, January 16, 2015