We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

WEG 2014 Suggestions

Which Caen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
hopatcong
reviews: 3
WEG 2014 Suggestions

I am still in the planning phase for our trip, and want to come for the show jumping on week 2 with my parents. I have looked into the hotel packages offered by the US ticket agent and they are an option, but we are more independent travelers and will rent a car regardless because my parents won't want to come to all the sessions. The tour operator also starts with 3 days in Rouen, which is a lovely city (been there on a river cruise), but we aren't sure we want to spend that amount of time there.

I wanted to look into either an apartment or house rental but have never done that before. Do any of the location experts have some ideas as to where to start? The show jumping (from what I can tell of the venues) takes place at the hippodrome (approximately), so I am looking at the towns in the south/south eastern side of the city. We don't mind a bit of a drive to get to the events, so I was looking in Louvigny, and along the Orne.

Thanks for any help.

St Louet sur Vire...
Destination Expert
for Bayeux
reviews: 19
1. Re: WEG 2014 Suggestions

If you do a Google search for cottage or house for rent in the area that you want to stay you will get the web addresses of lots of sites. GitesdeFrance is one that will probably have plenty of properties. I know of a beautiful gite but I'm afraid it's near Mont St Michel so too much of a drive for daily trips to Caen really.

Bretteville-sur-Laiz...
reviews: 18
2. Re: WEG 2014 Suggestions

Also Louvigny is practically in Caen - you will need to cast your net wider I think. If you have a car there are lots of places (both gites and b&b's) within 30 mins south and west of the city, but get moving - booking started for me during the past summer.

London, England
reviews: 65
3. Re: WEG 2014 Suggestions

We rented a lovely gites near Arromanches this year and last year. I found it on gites de france, but there are lots of websites you can look through. Homelidays, Holidaylettings, Ownersdirect etc.

hopatcong
4. Re: WEG 2014 Suggestions

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for the replies, sorry I haven't responded. I got pulled into a special project at work, then was working on researching some properties.

I had a response about an apartment right in Caen, actually quite near the Hippodrome listed on HouseTrip. There aren't many reviews, but the owner has been responsive to questions. We've never rented before, and I don't know much about housetrip, but there is an option to pay with a credit card. The only drawback I can see is that we would have to park offsite. The owner says it is a flat rate of 12 euros a day. Does this seem reasonable? We need a car because my mom has some mobility issues and my parents may not go to the games every day.

I got another response from a place about 13 km outside Caen, that is a stand alone house and has parking. Any thoughts?

Thank you again!

PS. I got word that my tickets have been transferred to my FEI Account!

DUNCAN
reviews: 14
5. Re: WEG 2014 Suggestions

I'm interested, did you buy the U.S. package, or just stadium tickets?

I understand that seating is 'first come, first served' on the day of the event.

I would much prefer to KNOW what my seat will be!

We found a small apartment near the stadium from Airbandb, quite reasonable.

hopatcong
6. Re: WEG 2014 Suggestions

I bought just the stadium jumping tickets for the three of us. I am not sure on the seating either, but we are flexible. All I have is a message that the tickets have been transferred to my name and will be sent. I will update once I actually recieve them. I needed disabled parking , and it does indicate that we have that.

We thought about the hotel package, but you needed to buy the tickets separately and we weren't interested in the "extras" the hosted package provided (plus it was much more expensive).

I wound up booking the apartment I mentioned earlier for about 850 euros this weekend. It is quite close to the Hippodrome.

7. Re: WEG 2014 Suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 5:35 pm, January 10, 2014
Ontario, California
reviews: 2
8. Re: WEG 2014 Suggestions

Trying to get to WEG for the first week but can't seem to find anything that is close enough without renting a car and going too far outside of Caen. If anyone hears of any, much appreciated. We would need to sleep two females. We are going to watch the dressage.

Thanks, Sandra

DUNCAN
reviews: 14
9. Re: WEG 2014 Suggestions

We booked an apartment through Airbandb, but prior making that booking, we booked a room at a small motel at the North side of Caen. There is no charge for canceling our Motel booking, so we are just keeping it open 'just in case' something goes wrong with our apartment booking.

I guess what I'm saying is: Don't give up, I'm sure there will be cancellations closer to the time of the event.

10. Re: WEG 2014 Suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:35 am, February 04, 2014