We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Caen to Mont St Michel

Which Caen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Geelong, Australia
reviews: 3
Caen to Mont St Michel

We are staying in Caen for 3 nights this July. We have 2 full days to explore some sights.

My husband wants to visit some D-Day beaches and I have dreamt of seeing Mont St Michel forever!!! Our 3 lads (21,19 and 18) are coming along for the ride!!

We have a car for the two days.

Should we visit Bayeux then the beaches on Day 1? Then MSM Day 2?

Or is it too much to visit MSM in the one day?

I envisioned going to MSM late in the afternoon to avoid buses/crowds, but I read on a forum that driving back at night is problematic??? Can anyone who has driven the roads please enlighten me as to what this post might have meant. Cheers.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 47
1. Re: Caen to Mont St Michel

you want to get to Mont st. Michel early enough to see the Abbey. so I'd aim for arriving early afternoon and getting lunch and doing the Mont. The process is clumsy with parking far from the Mont and a badly designed (for travelers, it is obviously designed to funnel people to local merchants) transport system.

I am not sure why you are basing in Caen -- I'd base in Bayeaux, a more charming town and closer to the landing beaches.

St Louet sur Vire...
Destination Expert
for Bayeux
reviews: 18
2. Re: Caen to Mont St Michel

The shuttle buses have moved nearer to the parking since the beginning of June, so there is no longer the great long walk past the shops and restaurants. In July the abbey is open in the evenings so you could go later in the day. I would certainly wait until mid afternoon before going there and don't even think about eating there! I don't understand what the problem with driving is, especially in July when it will still be later until around 10pm.

Terrigal, Australia
reviews: 250
3. Re: Caen to Mont St Michel

do yourself a huge favour and do some research into the TIDES - coming from a land down under we take no notice of tides, however, at MSM the incoming - outgoing tides are really something to see - you can walk around/up the abbey at anytime of day - but the tides make the effort of getting there so worthwhile !

www.ot-montsaintmichel.com/index.htm?lang=en‎

whc.unesco.org › Culture › World Heritage Centre › The List‎

have a great trip !

4. Re: Caen to Mont St Michel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, June 16, 2014