We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London to Caen

Which Caen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hendersonville
London to Caen

I want to travel roundtrip between London to Caen for an overnight. I can't find any airline flights. What other options are there? rental car, train, ferry?

Thanks

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 11
1. Re: London to Caen

You can't reasonably do this. The fastest connection would be by train, but this would take 5.5 hours each way.

You would take the Eurostar from London St Pancras to Paris Gare du Nord, then an RER train to St Lazare, and an Intercités train to Caen.

Louisville, KY
Destination Expert
for French Riviera - Cote d'Azur
reviews: 26
2. Re: London to Caen

You might be able to work this way on City Jet from London, flying to Deauville and driving to Caen:

www.cityjet.com/destinations/deauville/

I haven't delved into this to see if it might work, but give it a try. When you are traveling will make a difference because City Jet seems to cater to Londoners who want to travel to Deauville during the summer.

St Louet sur Vire...
Destination Expert
for Bayeux
reviews: 19
3. Re: London to Caen

Even City Jet doesn't fly every day so it depends which day of the week you can make your journey, and as Troggs says, it has to be in the summertime.

Louisville, KY
Destination Expert
4. Re: London to Caen

Maybe, the flight may might work in one direction? The City Jet flights are for weekend travelers, Friday and Sundays only, although I think they bumped added some flights last summer. At this point, however, summer 2013's schedule is Friday and Sunday, and it's the same for this winter.

You might also want to check your options on this thread, but I think SydneyNick's ground travel time of 5.5 hours may be the norm.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187179-i607-k5082…

Read through the replies for updates because she posts these periodically.

Edited: 9:28 am, December 10, 2012
Hendersonville
5. Re: London to Caen

Thanks for the info. I forgot to mention that March is my planned visit to London. My visit to City Jet does show a weekend roundtrip from London City to Deauville in March. I presume there are rental cars at the Deauville Airport.

Louisville, KY
Destination Expert
6. Re: London to Caen

I'm happy this looks like it might work for you.

I'm not sure about there actually being car rentals at the Deauville airport,but I know you can rent a car in the city of Deauville. If I'm not mistaken, car rentals are in the vicinity of the Deauville/Trouville train station. I use AutoEurope for my bookings in Europe:

www.autoeurope.com/go/cpc/…

..and I would suggest that you search both Deauville and Trouville (sur Mer) for rental offices. These are sister resorts that face each other across a harbor and they are their own dual economies, and Deauville is not so large that getting from the airport to a car rental office in either resort should be difficult. I'm giving you a bump here, and hopefully you will hear more from contributors who live in the area. If not, start a new topic as "Car rental from the Deauville airport" or some such wording.

Here is the link to the airport's website:

http://www.deauville.aeroport.fr/english/

...and there's no mention of car rental. There is an "unofficial" website, but not much there either.

Note that when you fly City Jet, you are flying from London City Airport, a smaller airport and not one of London's major facilities.

Again, I'm happy that this may work for you.

Essex
reviews: 71
7. Re: London to Caen

Drat, Jeff Steiners Deauville Airport website which was really good, has been reduced to a one-page mention on his main site. Hopefully he will reinstate the original information he had at some point (but as he mentions go to the Cityjet website, wonder if he has been caught in some legal loophole or another??)

http://www.deauvilleairport.com/

It used to be nearly as good as this one he has about Beauvais Airport:

http://www.beauvais-airport.com/

I have just 'googled' for "Car Hire Deauville Airport" and some options came up, these, however, are not shown on the official Deauville Airport website.

Louisville, KY
Destination Expert
8. Re: London to Caen

EW, I noticed that about the "unoffical" Deauville airport website. It was much more informative than the "official" airport link, but as you said, it's been cut back.

I enjoy your "drat" posts!

Essex
reviews: 71
9. Re: London to Caen

dang!!

:-D

Bucks
reviews: 2
10. Re: London to Caen

1, Take an early evening train from London to Portsmouth & Southsea (1.5 hours, www.nationalrail.co.uk, buy ticket at the station on the day)

2. Take a taxi to Portsmouth Continental Ferry Terminal

3. Sail by luxurious overnight Brittany Ferries cruise ferry to Caen, www.brittanyferries.co.uk . You sail out of Portsmouth ferry terminal past the naval docks, past HMS Victory & HMS Warrior, last time I was there a few months ago I also saw the expedition ship HMS Endurance and the aircraft carrier Ark Royal. Then past the new Spinnaker Tower and the sea front.

You sleep in a private cabin, all cabins with en suite toilet and shower, and maybe have dinnmer and breakfast in the restaurant on board. Lovely!

The ship arrives at Ouistreham next morning, just N of Caen itself, you'll pass the turning for Pegasus Bridge on the way in as I recall.

Edited: 11:20 am, December 12, 2012