We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Self-catering family holiday in Bayeux?

Which Bayeux hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Maidstone, United...
reviews: 19
Self-catering family holiday in Bayeux?

We recently had a wonderful first French holiday based in a rented house in Montreuil-Sur-Mer, with days out to the seaside, and would like to do the same in Normandy next year.

Bayeux seems to be our kind of town and we would like to be walkable to the centre, with days out to theme parks (like festyland), the coast, and Paris. Parking looks tight on streetview; would we struggle to get safely parked in the evening after days out?

Are there any other options we have overlooked? Our budget is about 500 euros for a week, and will be driving down from Calais. Many thanks for any suggestions.

St Louet sur Vire...
Destination Expert
for Bayeux
1. Re: Self-catering family holiday in Bayeux?

Arromanches may be worth taking a look at. It's about 5-6 miles outside of Bayeux and right on the coast. You may find more self-catering rentals there than in bayeux.

Maidstone, United...
2. Re: Self-catering family holiday in Bayeux?

Thanks for that. We would almost certainly visit Arromanche several times if in Bayeux, but for personal preference want to be slightly inland with a railway station, rather than in a seaside town.

We have also noticed Avranches and Pontorson for similar reasons, but have not seen many town rentals. Maybe we are just a bit awkward in wanting a base not in the middle of nowhere.

St Louet sur Vire...
Destination Expert
for Bayeux
3. Re: Self-catering family holiday in Bayeux?

I would suspect the main reason that there are less holiday rentals in the towns is that town properties are more expensive (especially Bayeux and Avranches) and most rentals are second homes for the majority of the owners.

Tampa, Florida
reviews: 9
4. Re: Self-catering family holiday in Bayeux?

You also don't say where you're looking -- there are **dozens** of listing sites for gites in France.

Maidstone, United...
5. Re: Self-catering family holiday in Bayeux?

I've learned to look beyond the first page of Google results and have found the occasional owner with their own website. We prefer a town because we can stroll to lots of shops where my daughter can use her French.

Which still leaves the issue of parking wherever we go. The translated Wikipedia page says there are 3,000 spaces in Bayeux, most of which are free, but other searches have said many are now pay & display.

England
reviews: 20
6. Re: Self-catering family holiday in Bayeux?

I tend to go straight to my 'usual sources' because there tends to be a lot of sifting necessary with just googling.. For example, in just a couple of minutes I found these:

The Gites de France 'City Breaks' series might have what you want:

…gites-de-france-calvados.com/liste…

Or there is this one from Holidaylettings which says there is on-street parking.

holidaylettings.co.uk/rentals/bayeux/251935

You could also try a host of other websites like holiday-rentals, homelidays, sawdays and others to see what they have.

Check with the owners what the parking situation is like in or close to their accommodation and if in doubt look elsewhere. I understand the anxiety of finding a parking space, especially if it's your own car ....

England
7. Re: Self-catering family holiday in Bayeux?

Also be aware that Bayeux (population around 16000) is a much bigger place than Montreuil-sur-Mer (population around 2500) so the 'feel' will not be quite the same.

Maidstone, United...
8. Re: Self-catering family holiday in Bayeux?

That's the danger in comparing French and English towns. I imagined Berck to be like Margate, but had a lovely surprise. For some reason Bayeux makes me think of Faversham, but with more tourist attractions. No doubt totally wrong.

England
9. Re: Self-catering family holiday in Bayeux?

Hmmm, I don't think Bayeux and Faversham are very similar.

It also seems to me you're getting just a little philosophical, which may be a sign that you're a bit in doubt about Bayeux?

So jic you're looking for an alternative to Bayeux in Normandy you could consider Domfront - smaller, more inland, less touristy and less expensive than Bayeux and just a little more like Montreuil-sur-Mer. Since you have a car you could still travel to Bayeux and the landing beaches on day trips.

www.domfront.com

The website is in French, but you could ask your daughter to help you translate.

Hope this helps, rather than confuses ...

St Louet sur Vire...
Destination Expert
for Bayeux
10. Re: Self-catering family holiday in Bayeux?

Strange isn't it, it's obviously personal taste but I often wonder why anyone would base themselves in Domfront, in the back of beyond! It's a pretty enough little town but can be visited in half a day and everywhere else (apart from bagnoles sur l'Orne) is well over an hour's drive away.