We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hertz / Renault Rent in Bayeux

Which Bayeux hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
England
reviews: 3
Hertz / Renault Rent in Bayeux

Hi everyone,

We are looking to hire a car for 1 day (Sunday 17th April) in Bayeux to tour some of the British sites ourselves...

I believe though that Renault Rent is closed on Sundays - can anyone confirm this?

Additionally, having searched for Hertz on this forum, there is some confusion as to whether or not it actually exists in Bayeux...can anyone confirm that Hertz is in Bayeyx? And are they open on Sundays??

Many thanks in advance!!

emma x

Bayeux, France
Destination Expert
for Bayeux, Basse-Normandie, Mont-St-Michel, Caen
reviews: 12
1. Re: Hertz / Renault Rent in Bayeux

Hertz is about 1.5 miles from the town center in the direction of Cherbourg. Can't say if it's open on Sundays. If you want to rent a car at Bayeux on a Sunday there's Lefebvres on the northern ring road with the junction to Port en Bessin.

Ottawa, Canada
reviews: 8
2. Re: Hertz / Renault Rent in Bayeux

A trial booking at http://www.hertz.fr and choosing Bayeux as your pickup location will show if it's open or not.

What about picking up a car late Saturday in Caen?

Check booking a car through SNCF.com... the Avis car will be provided by an SNCF employee if the Avis desk is closed...

Ohio, USA
reviews: 4
3. Re: Hertz / Renault Rent in Bayeux

The Hertz location in Bayeux is a very small operation and will have a limited selection of cars. You might consider picking up your car in Caen instead.

SoCal
4. Re: Hertz / Renault Rent in Bayeux

Has anyone recently rented a car at the Hertz Bayeux office in the last month or so that can verify the hours of operation? We need to rent a car in mid-October after our Overlord tour (which ends at 6 PM on a Thursday) or after we arrive in Bayeux on a Wednesday (train arrives at 5:15 PM) and need to verify that the Bayeux rental office (listed address is Vaucelles - Total Petrol Station, Route de Cherbourg, Departementale 613, Bayeux (Vaucelles ) 14400) is open late enough for us to rent our car. Their car selection is small (like the cars in the selection), but we prefer a smaller car in case we find ourselves in narrow streets or country lanes.

As of today, the Hertz website shows the office in Bayeux having fairly liberal operating hours (6 AM-10 PM M-F, 8AM-9PM Sat-Sun), which are more extensive hours than that shown for the Caen railway station Hertz office frequently recommended here (web site shows them closed at 7PM and 6PM on weekdays and Saturday, respectively, and closed all day Sunday).

BTW, I also discovered that, on the Hertz site, it is actually cheaper to rent a car for three days than it is for two (€24 per day for 3, €49 per day for two!)-I ran the dates three times to verify it, and both included the same Saturday evening dropoff. Weird.

Louisville, KY
Destination Expert
for French Riviera - Cote d'Azur
reviews: 26
5. Re: Hertz / Renault Rent in Bayeux

After much research on TA, we decided to take the train to Caen and rent our car in Caen. The train ride is short and there several car rental companies located outside the train station. We used autoeurope for our booking. From a hotel in the town of Bayeux, you can walk to the train station and not worry about getting to the Hertz rental location.

At the time of our trip, the Hertz rental location was a sideline for a gas station - the Total Station mentioned earlier - and things sounded as confusing then as what I'm reading now. I wouldn't waste time trying to figure out and locate car rentals in Bayeux...it just seems too complicated. However, when booking in Caen, be careful about office hours. If I remember correctly, they close mid day for several hours.

SoCal
6. Re: Hertz / Renault Rent in Bayeux

Troggs, thanks for the comment-the Caen hours of operation are my main concern, since they close close to the time we would be able to pick up the car in the evening (tour ends at 6 PM, which doesn't leave much time for a train trip to Caen and a walk to the office from the station). Even though the Bayeux office is essentially a gas station, their hours of operation are much more convenient, assuming of course they are actually open for those hours.

Ottawa, Canada
reviews: 8
7. Re: Hertz / Renault Rent in Bayeux

Why not phone the Bayeux office? Trans Atlantic phone rates are cheap and the call will only take a minute....

Edited: 10:02 pm, August 01, 2011
Louisville, KY
Destination Expert
8. Re: Hertz / Renault Rent in Bayeux

If you are coming from Paris, you might want to consider stopping in Caen before you get to Bayeux. If your arrival time and rental office hours work, you could pick up your car and drive to Bayeux. Just make sure that your train stops in Caen.

I am just so uneasy about the Total station pick up. There have been so many uncertainties discussed on this forum, but maybe someone will join the discussion who will be more encouraging. I don't think that car rental is well organized in Bayeux because it might be a bit seasonal. Caen is a larger city that is close to Bayeux, and companies may find it better to operate from there.

Edited: 10:23 pm, August 01, 2011
SoCal
9. Re: Hertz / Renault Rent in Bayeux

I'll probably call in the next few days, although our B&B host has been extremely helpful and speaks MUCH better French than I do and may be willing to make the call for me instead. :-) My "druthers" would definitely be to deal with an actual rental office (ie, Caen), but in this case their hours don't work for me-none of the three Caen offices are open on Sunday.

Edited: 10:52 pm, August 01, 2011
Louisville, KY
Destination Expert
10. Re: Hertz / Renault Rent in Bayeux

webweeb: You might want to start a new topic so the information is fresh. Your requests might be getting buried in this older post. It sounds like you are doing a great job of assessing your options and you are on your way to planning a wonderful trip. I have enjoyed corresponding with a mrswebdweeb and I'm guessing there is a connection.

I am so glad that you booked a guided tour. We also took an Overlord tour and really enjoyed it. There is nothing like the experience of visiting the D Day sites. You will know something happened there and will want to go back. My husband is in France now on business, and I'm hoping to go back with him to Normandy in the spring. If you can hate getting a call from a traveling spouse, it's when they call and say how wonderful it is to be back in France. He gets to Normandy tomorrow. Oh my...

Have a great trip!

Edited: 11:23 pm, August 01, 2011