We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Your advice sought 2 days in Normandy

Which Bayeux hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Adelaide
reviews: 23
Your advice sought 2 days in Normandy

My wife and I will be in Normandy visit the Juno beach where my grand father landed on D day -

We will be arriving by train and don't speak french, I would like to be as close to Juno as possible as I would like to be on the beach at Dawn - We are travelling in early January so we are aware it will be cold but I am still determined to do it , I have looked on websites and do not seem to be able to find a B & B that is located close to Juno beach

Any help would be really appreciated

Michael

Blackburn England
reviews: 49
1. Re: Your advice sought 2 days in Normandy

Have a look at this link :

www.sawdays.co.uk/maps/browsemap/france/04a/

These books (Special Places to Stay) are usually very reliable and they show at least 3 B & B 's that should be close enough to be on the beach in minutes by car. If you are not hiring one when there I am sure the owners would arrange a taxi for the short journey for you.

Yes it will be cold!!

Hope this helps

Neal

Bristol, United...
reviews: 3
2. Re: Your advice sought 2 days in Normandy

As you know Juno is a section of beaches, that divides up into sectors, starts roughly at Arromanches-les-Bains in the west to St Aubin-sur-Mer in the east, do your Grandfather's brigade or are you aware exactly where he came ashore?

The problem will be the month you've chosen as most small B&Bs will be closed for winter, but when I travel I always use Logis de France which I find is much nicer than large chain hotels

As for not speaking French the locals have enough English speaking visitors each year to help with requests.

http://www.logis-de-france.fr/uk/index.htm

Adelaide
reviews: 23
3. Re: Your advice sought 2 days in Normandy

thanks bengodog -

my grandfathers job that day was to drive the boats in an out from the beach all morning, he died a few years ago and other then distorted memories of him telling me I don't know exactly where he came ontot he beach later that day - I have with me a rock that he collected at the 50th anniversary event that was held in 94 and I would like to return it to the beach.

I really would like to somehow get a boat and be on the water looking into the beach at dawn but this is proving harder to arrange then first thought I guess because it is the middle of winter

Bristol, United...
reviews: 3
4. Re: Your advice sought 2 days in Normandy

Certainly not the best month of the year to be trying this, probably best to try and sort out with a local fisherman when you arrive.

Good luck

St Louet sur Vire...
Destination Expert
for Bayeux
reviews: 19
5. Re: Your advice sought 2 days in Normandy

Sorry to say but I doubt that you will find anyone prepared to do this. Pleasure boats won't be running at that time of day or year and here in France there is so much bureacracy that fishermen won't have the licence or insurance to do it.

6. Re: Your advice sought 2 days in Normandy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 pm, September 03, 2009