We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

24 hours in Lille - what to do, what to avoid?

Which Lille hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
England
reviews: 4
24 hours in Lille - what to do, what to avoid?

Hi. My husband and I are having a fleeting trip to Lille in a couple of weeks. We are travelling by Eurostar and staying in an hotel near the station. The plan is to arrive lunchtime Friday, drop our bags and head into the centre and do a bit of sightseeing, have a few beers, a nice bite to eat, and repeat the process (perhaps without the beers!) before we leave Saturday lunchtime.

Any places anyone could recommend that we visit?

Many thanks.

Essex
reviews: 71
1. Re: 24 hours in Lille - what to do, what to avoid?

For information on the attractions of Lille, look here:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Attractions-g187178-Activi…

and here:

http://www.lilletourisme.com/index_gb.php

I have not been there myself, so can't recommend anything, one way or the other, but at least now you might be able to pick out some things that have interest and meaning for YOURselves, eh??

Chesterfield...
reviews: 19
2. Re: 24 hours in Lille - what to do, what to avoid?

Have a look at - www.lechti.com - for everything to see and do in Lille.

Eating establishments, cultural delights, shopping and what to visit at night are all there in Le Chti.

You might need Google 'Translate' to get the best from the site.

England
3. Re: 24 hours in Lille - what to do, what to avoid?

Thank you - I hadn't come across the Lille Tourism site before. I get what you're saying about making the trip personal for us - I am just always petrified when I visit a new location the I'll get home and someone will say "oh, did you visit XYZ - it's the best kept secret"!

England
4. Re: 24 hours in Lille - what to do, what to avoid?

Thanks Keith - I am hoping that my school French (along with not too little help from Google translate!) will do the job with that site.

5. Re: 24 hours in Lille - what to do, what to avoid?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 4:03 pm, February 08, 2011
England
6. Re: 24 hours in Lille - what to do, what to avoid?

Blimey EssexWanderer - have I touched a raw nerve?

Essex
reviews: 71
7. Re: 24 hours in Lille - what to do, what to avoid?

No, sorry, just trying to give you courage, but as you don't like my 'pep talk' - and it probably was a bit OTT - I have asked for it to be removed.

Enjoy your travels - in your own way!!

Edited: 4:06 pm, February 08, 2011
England
8. Re: 24 hours in Lille - what to do, what to avoid?

No need to get it removed, although it was, as you say, OTT. Thank you for the Lille Tourism site, it is very informative.

London, United...
reviews: 1
9. Re: 24 hours in Lille - what to do, what to avoid?

Hello

There are a number of restaurants and bars in the area around the Gare Lille Flandres.

One you should try is Les Trois Brasseurs (http://www.les3brasseurs.com/) which brews its own beer, and has a selection of regional food. You can also buy some beer to take away as well as other souvenirs.

Another favourite of mine is "La Taverne Flamande" which is opposite the Gare Lille Flandres, and has quite a good beer list.

There are also a number of restaurants and bars in the area around the Grand Place, and Place Rihour. One notable one is "La Chicoree" (http://chicoree.restaurantsdelille.com/) which is open until 6am at weekends and serves a range of regional cuisine and beer.

If you like shopping there is the Centre Euralille, in between the Gare Lille Europe and the Gare Lille Flandres. You could take the metro or tram to the stop "Roubaix Euroteleport", where there is a branch of the McArthur Glen discount shopping mall.

Staff at most restaurants and bars and bars in the city centre will speak at least some English, so you should have no problems there.

England
10. Re: 24 hours in Lille - what to do, what to avoid?

Thank you Paul. I will look into those.