We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Changing trains - safest/best choice

Which Lille hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Westport...
reviews: 42
Changing trains - safest/best choice

Going from Bruges to Paris, we are taking the train into Lille Flandres - arriving 12:56pm.

We'd like to get the 1:29pm to Paris, but it leaves from Lille Europe. Since we have 33 minutes in between the two, is it wise to book this and attempt it? Experience tells me trains in Europe are usually not late, and I know I can get from Lille Flandres to Lille Europe in about 10 minutes. But will I have to go through any sort of customs coming from Belgium? Or, as an American citizen, will I have to be at the Lille-Paris train sooner than 15 minutes before departure?

Otherwise, we can leave 2 hours later from Flandres. We won't mind that if there is a place in the station to eat lunch. Is there? (We'll each be pulling one large suitcase on wheels).

Lastly - we COULD go through Belgium and not have this issue, but it will cost about $200 more.

Any experienced advice?

Much appreciated.

Chesterfield...
reviews: 17
1. Re: Changing trains - safest/best choice

As far as I know you won't have to go through any form of custom control as you are already in Europe.

Anyone can drive from Belgium to France without any border restrictions and I can't see that train travel is any different.

Why not contact the Lille tourist office and ask for advice from them.

You would have to be walking very slowly to take ten minutes between stations. They are very close together.

As for lunch - you can obtain food at either station and there are numerous bars and restaurants around Lille Flandres. Even, if you're desperate, a McDonald's!

Westport...
2. Re: Changing trains - safest/best choice

This was very helpful information. Thanks!

P.S. Love the photo of your dog.

Loire Valley
reviews: 7
3. Re: Changing trains - safest/best choice

No problem. Straight off the train at Lille Fladres, turn right, a 15 minute stroll, which leaves you about 10 minutes before your train to Paris arrives at the platform.

Don't try buying food at the large shopping centre you will be walking past, a lot quicker to buy at the station.

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
reviews: 3
4. Re: Changing trains - safest/best choice

>But will I have to go through any sort of customs coming from Belgium?

Ever heard of Schengen accord? The border between Belgium and France is just a line on the map. You don´t need to go through any sort of control than you would between Connecticut and NY.

>Or, as an American citizen, will I have to be at the Lille-Paris train sooner than 15 minutes before departure?

You have to be at the platform before the train departs. Eurostar trains through the channel tunnel are the only ones (AFAIK) where you have any kind of "check in" procedure. Why would your citizenship be of any importance?

Westport...
5. Re: Changing trains - safest/best choice

Thank you one and all! We're grateful for your input and we've booked our trains with confidence!

6. Re: Changing trains - safest/best choice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:18 pm, October 06, 2009