We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Take Two: Albi in a day - do-able?

Which Albi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Westbrook, Maine
reviews: 14
Take Two: Albi in a day - do-able?

I have only one day to spend in Albi, arriving via train at 8:25AM and leaving at 5:48PM. Is that enough time to comfortably see the cathedral and Lautrec Museum. (The cathedral opens at 9AM, the museum opens at 10AM and they both close from noon-2PM

Thanks!

CA
reviews: 3
1. Re: Take Two: Albi in a day - do-able?

Sure, you have plenty of time. The downtown area is fairly concentrated.

The cathedral pretty amazing. Also see the gardens behind the Lautrec Museum.

Westbrook, Maine
2. Re: Take Two: Albi in a day - do-able?

Thanks, Francophool!

Too bad they're closed at the mid-day. There's a train I'd rather take at 3:50PM, but I think that would be cutting it close, don't you, with getting back to the train station and all? Unless you think I could get to the cathedral by 9 or so, stay there till 10:30-11, then go over to the museum, stay till it closed at noon, grab some lunch, see the gardens and the city view and then come back to the museum from 2-3, then walk back to the station and make the train. Sounds a little compressed, but maybe it would work. I guess I could see how it goes and decide that day.

Ohio, USA
reviews: 4
3. Re: Take Two: Albi in a day - do-able?

I think you could compress your visit and take the earlier train, but if you are anything like us, you might not want to once you are there. We love Albi and just enjoy strolling its streets and generally lazing around there. The cathedral is stunning. Cross the river by the Vieux Pont for a spectacular view.

Enjoy!

Westbrook, Maine
4. Re: Take Two: Albi in a day - do-able?

Thanks, Irishrovr! Between noon and 2PM, when the church and museum are closed, I'll plan to get picnic supplies and take in that scenic view. About how long will it take to walk there?

I wish I could spend more time in Albi and also visit the surrounding area, but I'm traveling alone via public transportation and shoehorning Albi in between an overnight train from Paris and a few days in the Lezignan area with friends.

London, UK
Destination Expert
for Train Travel, Olympics
reviews: 174
5. Re: Take Two: Albi in a day - do-able?

If you are taking the train to Toulouse in the afternoon you coud play it by ear and catch the earler one if you feel you can, afterall the weather may not be ideal. The service is will not require reservations or advance booking.

Ohio, USA
reviews: 4
6. Re: Take Two: Albi in a day - do-able?

At the very outside it's about a half mile from the eastern end of the cathedral past the Palais de la Berbie to the bridge and across to the right bank of the Tarn. Figure on 20 minutes if you keep moving, a half hour or more if you are like us and keep getting distracted and side-tracked...

Fair warning: Pretty much everything except cafés and restaurants will be closed for a couple of hours from noon. You'll find that is true in most small towns and villages outside the Paris area and particularly so the farther south you go. Boulangeries often stay open a half hour longer than other places so people on their way home for lunch can grab their lunch-time baguette.

Westbrook, Maine
7. Re: Take Two: Albi in a day - do-able?

Thanks, railtraveller. Great suggestion. The only two reasons I would take the earlier train are 1) if I'm tired from the overnight train from Paris and 2) if it will be in imposition for my friends who are picking me up in Narbonne to have to come out to get me after 9PM. But maybe they don't care. And I'm planning to get a couchette, so that will help. I'm not interested in saving a few dollars and arriving exhausted. Too old for that at this point. :-)

Thanks, IrishRovr, for the specifics on the distance to the river and for the reminder about the closings. I'll keep that in mind and pick up food for lunch prior to noon. If possible, I'd like to stay the extra couple hours. I love to take photos, and I know I'll want to spend a fair amount of time doing that.

8. Re: Take Two: Albi in a day - do-able?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, August 30, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Albi