We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from Lourdes to Lescun

Which Midi-Pyrenees hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Travel from Lourdes to Lescun

What is the best way to do this route? Is there a bus and what are the times in summer?

Thanks!

2 replies to this topic
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
reviews: 19
1. Re: Travel from Lourdes to Lescun

Bus is the only way unless you drive or are prepared to spend a lot of money on a taxi from Pau. The railway down the valley was closed many years ago.

I went that way (but further) last August.

First you must take a train from Lourdes to Pau. That doesn't take long. The next stage is normally by train from Pau to Oloron Ste Marie, but the line has been closed for a while due to work taking place also storm damage. There are replacement buses until 20th July as far as I know. Then at Oloron Ste Marie you change to a bus which thinks it's a train, which will take you close to Lescun.

As the bus thinks it is a train, you can buy a ticket all the way from Pau. The bus will wait if the train is late, which happened to me. The delay was 45 minutes in the end, but we got there.

You will need to check the situation at the regional railways website, which is only in French, at ter-sncf.com/Regions/…Default.aspx

The Pau - Oloron - Lescun train and bus timetable applicable from 21 July is at …ter-sncf.com/Images/Aquitaine/Tridion/63-AF…

or for the exact date you wish to travel at www.voyages-sncf.com

Check times from Lourdes to Pau there also.

The village of Lescun is about 5 kilometres from the main road where the bus stops. From memory, the best place to get off would be the Pont de Lescun, but best check with the driver as the next stop is at the old railway station much further away. The road up to Lescun is very steep with lots of hairpin bends. The bus does not go up there!

There is no point buying a ticket in advance as there are no reservations. Don't worry about the bus being full. there were no more than a dozen people on board either way when I travelled.

I hope that helps.

Edited: 1:36 pm, July 16, 2014
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
reviews: 19
2. Re: Travel from Lourdes to Lescun

Also, be aware that Friday 15th August is a public holiday, so some trains and buses do not run on the evening of the 14th and during the day on the 15th.

Reply to: Travel from Lourdes to Lescun
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted