We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 days in Lorraine and Alsace- What to do?

Which Lorraine hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Zealand
4 days in Lorraine and Alsace- What to do?

Hi there. We are 43yr old couple with 4 days in hand prior to a conference in Paris - 4th to 8th June.

We are hiring a car from the CDG and leaving it in Strasbourg and catching the TGV to Paris. We thought maybe 2 nights each in Nancy and Strasbourg and explore from there.

We love historic town and village centres, and interesting countryside. What are people's must-sees, including a couple of short (up to half day) walks perhaps? Suggested itinerary?

Oh, and any inexpensive accommodation suggestions- it would be nice to be within walking distance of the centre city but not costing too much (NZ dollars!).

Thanks for your help.

Ramstein-Miesenbach...
reviews: 485
1. Re: 4 days in Lorraine and Alsace- What to do?

Hi. I'm not sure Nancy is worth two nights but for sure one. It's a beautiful city. We like the All Seasons Nancy Centre Gare. We've been there twice; the last time w/ a great rate of less than Euro 70 booked via hotels.com with breakfast. They've got parking for Euro 7 per night which is cheaper than any public parking location. Normally train station areas are seedy. Not so in Nancy. We've also stayed at De Guise twice. All Seasons is better although De Guise is in the old town... Metz is a beautiful city about 45 minutes from Nancy so you could do two nights in Nancy with a day trip to Metz. Nancy is pretty close to Dom Remy Purcell (sp?) where Joan of Arc was born. Kinda neat to see her home but probably not worth the time for such a short trip. I don't have any recommendations for hiking in Nancy/Metz but both cities are large and you can certainly spend hours walking around. Do walk the Art Deco route in Nancy -- it begins a couple blocks from the All Seasons.

Strasbourg is beautiful as well. There are many, many charming villages (Obernai, Rosheim, Selestat, Dambach la Ville, etc) that are within 30 minutes of Strasbourg. Colmar, a bit further south, is also nice. Quite near to Colmar are Ribeauville and Riquewihr -- Riquewihr is my favorite village. Plenty of hiking in the vineyards above and around Riquewihr. I've not stayed in Strasbourg in over 10 years so I have no recommendations. We stay in Obernai when in that region at Hotel la Dilegence. If you go that route, pay extra for one of the top floor larger, nicer rooms. Super views onto the main square and belfry right next to the hotel. And their breakfast is pretty good too (extra cost per person).

New Zealand
2. Re: 4 days in Lorraine and Alsace- What to do?

Hello- Sorry to Sunshine817 for not replying and thanking you for those web links- they were very helpful, thank you.

I was also not sure if Nancy was worth the 2 nights but we have booked 2 nights at the Hotel Des Prelats which had good reviews and 2 at the Hotel Cathedral in the centre of Strasbourg.

We will certainly visit the villages south of Strasbourg, and wondered if we should spend our 2nd night in that region instead of Nancy.

Metz and Troyes both looked like good places to visit and we may spend half a day in the Champagne area with a cave visit.

Thanks again for your help- its not long now til we are there :-)

New Zealand
3. Re: 4 days in Lorraine and Alsace- What to do?

Actually- how far from Strasbourg is Colmar- maybe we could change our 2nd night to that area...?

Edited: 3:38 am, May 12, 2012
San Francisco...
reviews: 28
4. Re: 4 days in Lorraine and Alsace- What to do?

We found Nancy well worth two nights in Sept 2011 (and for that we had only one full day to visit museums and walk around). We loved staying at Maison de Myon, a 5 min walk from beautiful Place Stanislas. Take a look at the web site and you will get a small feeling for it. http://www.maisondemyon.com/ Martine Quenot, the proprietor, is an amazing woman of great taste and apparently boundless energy and enthusiasm, and she is a fine hostess. She offers a table d’hote sometimes — but there are nice restaurants nearby in any event, including, our favorite on our short visit, “la Poule Ange.” We also has a good lunch at Vins et Tartines, 25 bis rue des Ponts, and we pretty much enjoyed dinner at La Maison dans le Parc, 3 r. Ste-Catherine, a very stylish and modern place. -- Jake

Edited: 6:17 pm, May 12, 2012
New Zealand
5. Re: 4 days in Lorraine and Alsace- What to do?

Jake, thank you for your reply.

The Maison de Myon looks amazing I must say! I will take your meal recommendations with me, thank you.

Marilyn

Ramstein-Miesenbach...
reviews: 485
6. Re: 4 days in Lorraine and Alsace- What to do?

Stasbourg to Colmar is about 45-60 minutes with traffic in/out of the cities and finding parking. I wouldn't move; just do it as a day trip. And be sure to visit Ribeauville and Riquewihr.

Metz and Troyes are both lovely. Troyes is about 2.5 hrs driving distance away ... not worth it in my opinion unless you overnight there. There you're getting into Burgundy which deserves a week of its own time.

For dinner in Nancy, we all have our favs. Here's ours: http://www.les-pissenlits.com/de/. If you go, make a reservation. The set menus are reasonable around Euro 30-35 and very good. We've been there 3 times; it's the only restaurant we go to in Nancy.

We are not museum people so time devoted to museums is not important to us. That re-affirms my one night only in Nancy rationale. If you're going to do the museums, 2 nights is probably appropriate.

If you decide to overnight south of Strasbourg, but not as far as Colmar, Obernai is my choice.

7. Re: 4 days in Lorraine and Alsace- What to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 pm, September 01, 2014