We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help in perpignan

Which Perpignan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
london
reviews: 2
help in perpignan

we are taking the train from london to perpignan but then want to drive to alacante spain. lots of questions...we are arriving in perpignan late at night, can anyone tell us of a decent hotel walking distance from train station? where we can go for car hire? and has anyone done the drive into spain? What is the drive like, is it scarey going through mountains, like tight roads or anything? Any tips would be very grateful, thanks

Perpignan, France
Destination Expert
for Languedoc-Roussillon, Perpignan
reviews: 100
1. Re: help in perpignan

There are two brand new hotels right by the station , Quality hotel and Comfort Hotel - www.bookinnFrance.com

There is nothing scary about the drive into Spain, it is a motorway and the "mountain pass" at Le Perthus has an elevation of 280 meters

Yhere are several car rental agencies in (Avis) or near the station.

Europcar Perpignan gare Place Salvador Dali - Tel: 04 68 34 89 80

Hertz Perpignan gare 9 avenue du Général de Gaulle - Tel: 04 68 51 37 40

Narional Citer Perpignan gare 11 Avenue de Gaulle - Tel: 04 68 51 09 09

Sixt Perpignan gare 9, Avenue de Général de Gaulle - Tel: 04 68 34 38 06

Avis Perpignan gare Gare SNCF - Tel: 04 68 34 26 71

Budget Perpignan gare 9 avenue du Général de Gaulle - Tel: 04 68 56 95 95

Ada Perpignan gare 30 Bis Av Général de Gaulle - Tel: 04 68 34 52 89

london
2. Re: help in perpignan

wow, thank you very much for that information

Montpellier, France
Destination Expert
for Languedoc-Roussillon, Montpellier
reviews: 4
3. Re: help in perpignan

The drive is motorway all the way fairly closely following the coast. There are speed limits that are more enforced than in the past and tolls that seem to get more expensive each year. The toll booths take credit cards.

It is about 700km - say 6.5hrs if you co-ordinate and minimise fuel, food and toilet stops. Follow E15 all the way signposted Barcelona, Tarragona , Valencia signs until you pick up the Alicante sign.

Start early, and have a nice dinner in Alicante.

london
4. Re: help in perpignan

thank you for that, i must have typed in the wrong place on my google search, iwas under the impression it was 3.5hrs not 6.5, may need to re-think. I'm going to aplace called Benissa nr Calpe.

Montpellier, France
Destination Expert
5. Re: help in perpignan

I was in Calpe last year and visited friends in Benissa.

It is about 50 km closer - so say 650km and 6 hrs drive from Perpignan.

We did it in 7.5 hrs from Nimes.

Peter

Edited: 10:01 am, September 19, 2011
london
6. Re: help in perpignan

hmm..... thank you very much.I didnt really want that far to drive, was hoping for 3 or 4 hours max. I may see if i can get a bit nearer than perpignan on the train, i dont really mind where i go to stay overnight just want to get to Benissa. But really thank you very much for taking the time to reply

Dawn

Montpellier, France
Destination Expert
7. Re: help in perpignan

You could save a night in a hotel by taking an early flight to somewhere in Languedoc, renting a car at the airport, then driving down to Calpe.

The TGV doesn't give many nice views in France and is expensive.

I'm not sure what time of year you are thinking about (not all 2012 routes have been confirmed yet) but you can get an idea of possible routes here : the-languedoc-page.com/tourism/languedoc-tou… . That is the 2011 list, but most will continue in 2012.

Peter

london
8. Re: help in perpignan

once again thank you but too scared of flying thats the reason for the long journey!!! supposed to be going next week! lol. no pressure then!

Dawn

Montpellier, France
Destination Expert
9. Re: help in perpignan

The peak traffic has gone, and you can get beach front B&B's and hotels without booking. Why not drive down slowly and spend a night on the coast somewhere like Cap Blanc : maps.google.com/maps… or further North

Peter

Edited: 1:50 am, September 20, 2011
Montpellier, France
Destination Expert
10. Re: help in perpignan

Hmm

Pressed return too soon. I also intented to say that you could train to Barcelona, spend a night then rent a car from the airport* and drive down to Benissa (now about 3hrs away).

Great thing is you are on holiday, it is off peak, so you don't need rigid plans.

* airport easy to get to with public transport and is on the southern side of Barcelona

Peter

Edited: 1:54 am, September 20, 2011