We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nimes Car Hire with Sunday Pick-up

Which Nimes hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Saint Louis...
reviews: 61
Nimes Car Hire with Sunday Pick-up

We will be arriving by train in Nimes on a Sunday and wish to pick up a car to continue our journey. On the Autoeurope and Europcar websites, it says the pick-up location is closed on Sunday at the train station, but it appears to be open at the airport. I would prefer to pick up the car at the train station because we'd like to store our luggage in the car while we do some site-seeing around Nimes. Does anyone know if you can arrange to pick up a car when the office is closed? Europcar indicated it might be possible but to contact the station (well that's easier said than done from the U.S.). If not, is there a place to store luggage at the train station? Then we'll just take a taxi to the airport when we are done site-seeing in Nimes??? Any advice???

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
reviews: 4
1. Re: Nimes Car Hire with Sunday Pick-up

I have heard of offices staying open or opening early but never opening on a normally closed day just for a single pickup, particularly when the airport is available.

To my knowledge there is no luggage consignment at the Nîmes train station:

www.gares-en-mouvement.com/fr/frfni/accueil/

I might suggest you take a taxi to the airport, pickup your car, and then visit Nîmes. There is a lot of road construction in the city at present but Sunday traffic will be minimal.

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
reviews: 16
2. Re: Nimes Car Hire with Sunday Pick-up

It's not a good idea to store luggage in your car while you are gone from it unless you are parked in a secure lot. Even then, back the car in to make it hard for thieves to get at the truck.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 11
3. Re: Nimes Car Hire with Sunday Pick-up

I think it is fine to have luggage in a parked car, provided that nothing of value is visible and you do nothing to indicate that there is luggage in the trunk. Just park the car, lock it, and walk away. That way, there is no reason for a thief to break into the car.

Perpignan, France
Destination Expert
for Languedoc-Roussillon, Perpignan
reviews: 87
4. Re: Nimes Car Hire with Sunday Pick-up

Have you tried Avis? They have an arrangement with SCNF, the railway company and you can usually get the car at the station outside opening hours.

Montpellier, France
Destination Expert
for Languedoc-Roussillon, Montpellier
reviews: 3
5. Re: Nimes Car Hire with Sunday Pick-up

Looks like even Avis at the station will be closed on a Sunday : avis.ie/CarHire/…Nimes-Train-Station

Nimes airport has two Ryanair flights on Sundays, so Hertz will be open.

There is a shuttle bus between the airport and station. The timetable for next summer will be uploaded at : nimes-aeroport.fr/en/page/shuttle-car-park-a…

Perpignan, France
Destination Expert
for Languedoc-Roussillon, Perpignan
reviews: 87
6. Re: Nimes Car Hire with Sunday Pick-up

Peter :

I was referring to this service : Avis/SNCF partnership

Une voiture à toute heure : quels que soient votre jour et heure d’arrivée, votre voiture Avis vous attend dès la descente de votre train. Si l'agence Avis est fermée, les clés de votre véhicule vous sont remises par un agent SNCF*.

*Service valable sur l'offre avec paiement en agence Avis, gratuit pour les clients ayant réservé leur voiture Avis via la SNCF, dans 170 gares en France.

Montpellier, France
Destination Expert
7. Re: Nimes Car Hire with Sunday Pick-up

Thanks.

I hadn't come across that.

Saint Louis...
8. Re: Nimes Car Hire with Sunday Pick-up

Thank you to everyone for your input! Just to update, I contacted Europcar to ask about a special arrangements and they said that after booking the car, they would confirm/deny special arrangements within 48 hours of booking. You have to have your train arrival times, credit card information, and booking ID number. Unfortunately, our trip is still 6 months out so I am not able to book my train ticket yet. I'm going to do some more checking into Avis as well. In regards to the shuttle suggestion...can you book that from the train station to the airport? I'm assuming you can, but at first glance of the schedules it looked like it was based on arrival flights into the airport. Thanks again!

Saint Louis...
9. Re: Nimes Car Hire with Sunday Pick-up

Just looked at the shuttle a little closer and now I see it shows Departures and Arrivals, so my apologies for not paying better attention before sending that last message.

Montpellier, France
Destination Expert
10. Re: Nimes Car Hire with Sunday Pick-up

I've searched my memory and remember something that may help.

About 10 years ago, I took someone to Nimes station to collect an Avis Rental Car. I think I'd collected them from Nimes airport. It was late, the Avis office was closed but somehow he knew that he had to go to the SNCF ticket office to sign the paperwork and collect the keys.

I also remember he was flying out of Montpellier, but there was a drop off fee for leaving the car there. He dropped it off at Nimes station and I gave him a lift to Montpellier airport.

Remember ......... it was 10 years ago !